Chapter 30: A Pure Legacy

"The one from the dark shall vanquish the one from the light, only if there can be no light found in a dark time. The ones they love will die and only one can survive when faced with a choice that will define a human's life. The light with no choice will be forced to decide, while the dark with a choice will have it taken away. Forces of both sides will pressure and decide if darkness will prevail over the light when the sun shines it's brightest in the sky." 

The prophecy kept replaying in my head as I stared at Draco. His eyes were red from his tears, and he looked absolutely hopeless as he stood between me and his father. He stares at me, almost hoping I could find a way for this situation to disappear. 

"Only if there can be no light found in a dark time?" I whisper to myself, gripping my wand tightly in my hand. No light...in a dark time...

This situation definitely fit the prophecy perfectly. Draco seems to be the one who has to decide who kills me, and I seemingly can just sit here and do nothing but wait for my demise. Will darkness prevail over the light?

My eyes glance upwards...it was getting close to midday. When the sun shines it's brightest in the sky.

No.

There's no way I'm letting fate decide how our lives play out. 

"Elena...I don't...I don't know what to do anymore." Draco says and I feel tears begin to sting my eyes, but I blink them away hastily.

Neither of us could live while both of us were still alive. And I would never, ever be able to harm Draco. And I know he couldn't kill me either.

"It's okay, Draco." I say and he shakes his head at me.

"No it's not! You know it's not, Elena!" he shouts and I grit my teeth together.

I think hard about the layout of the castle, and of the trophy case in Hogwarts. Of all the detentions I've had this year, I remember cleaning armor several times. 

"Accio sword." I whisper, my wand inconspicuously pointed towards the castle, and I waited. 

I could not allow Lucius to end my life, but I could never allow Draco to go through with killing me. It would destroy him. His heart would definitely turn dark if he were to kill me because of his father.

I held my left hand out as the sword came to me, and I gripped it tight as it hit my hand.

"Elena, what are you doing?" Draco asks worriedly, and I can tell by the look on his face he wonders if I'm actually going to fight him. I look from him to Lucius, who also has a curious look on his face.

If it was between me and Draco, then the choice is obvious.

I'll take my own life in order to secure Draco's future. 

I lift my wand towards Lucius, resolved with my choice. 

"Confundo!" The charm hits Lucius before he can think, and he staggers around, looking confused and disoriented. 

"Elena, what are you doing?" Draco asks, looking from his now confused father back to me. If I was going to go out this way, Lucius was not going to witness it. If anything, this would let Draco be able to have the freedom to react in peace. That's the one last thing I can offer him.

"I cannot express the joy I've felt getting to know you, Draco. The fights, the tears, the love...everything has made me into the best version of myself," I whisper, tears beginning to fill my eyes and Draco's eyes widen in understanding.

"Elena, no!" he shouts, starting to run at me but I lift my wand to him. "Impedimenta," I cast, and Draco is knocked backwards.

"Dammit, Elena, don't keep me from you!" he shouts, trying again to come closer to me, but the jinx prevents him from doing so.