Chapter 11: Not So Different

It's been a week since Draco stormed away from me. I've tried several times to talk to him, but he either gives me the cold shoulder or snaps at me, making me instantly regret going up to him. People have noticed it as well, because for some reason, the relationship between Draco and I provides Hogwarts with a lot of interesting gossip, which is highly annoying at times like this. I've almost gotten to the point where I just want to hole myself up in my room and never leave.

I've been feeling dreadful ever since Draco pretty much abandoned me. I thought I had finally found someone that I could trust, but now I'm finding myself regretting ever telling him about what happened. Maybe he was right whenever he was saying that I didn't know him. 

I walked down the hallway, clutching my books to my body as I did. A few people who saw me began to whisper to one another which made me feel irritated and embarrassed all at the same time. Picking up my pace, I hurried down the corridor, going towards the Great Hall for dinner. Classes have been dragging by and it's taking all of my effort to pay attention in class now. 

The only thing I haven't done is talk to Harry. Every time I saw him in the corridors I would quickly turn down another hall, avoiding him at all costs. I almost want to blame him for my fight with Draco, because if it would've been anyone else, Draco probably wouldn't have cared at all. But then again, Draco overreacted to the talk we had. So maybe I can blame both of them.

I let out a sigh of relief as I came to the Ravenclaw table, sitting down and being able to set my books down beside me. My arms were very pleased with the lack of weight on them and were not throbbing as much anymore as I patiently waited for the food to appear in front of me. I only looked up two times, both to see what Draco was doing. He had his hand on his chin and he looked deep in thought, but he never lifted his eyes to meet my gaze. 

Dumbledore stood up, much to my relief, and rose his hands calmly, silencing everyone. All of the students looked up at him, waiting for him to speak so that they could eat. He lowered his hands and began to address us, his voice a little lighter than usual.

"The other teachers and I have been discussing matters lately, and we have decided that, despite recent events, we are going to have a small celebration here at Hogwarts come Christmas. Most of you will be familiar with the certain event, as we had it two years ago during the Triwizard Tournament. We will again be having the Yule Ball." he announces and people immediately begin buzzing, talking in excited whispers while I stare at him in shock. 

Maybe Professor Dumbledore is doing this because he feels as if we need something happy to take our minds off of what has happened. It's a very good idea, although I don't think even a Ball will be able to cheer me up at the moment.

"The Yule Ball will be open for everybody, so that everyone can enjoy a good dance." Dumbledore says lightly and I see a few first years high five at this. "Now, please enjoy your dinner." he says and returns to his seat, the food appearing in front of everybody, people talking loudly and excitedly to one another. 

I ate my food in silence, thinking about the upcoming event. No doubt I'd end up going by myself, now that Draco and I aren't speaking. He'll probably ask Pansy Parkinson to go with him. I sulked at the idea but I quickly shook it off, not wanting to think about Draco or anyone else for that matter.

I overheard Padma Patil talking to some of her friends, looking extremely excited. "Oh, this is going to be great! I won't make the same mistake like I did last time. I will not go to this Ball with Ron Weasley. He wasn't a good partner." she says and her friends laugh, agreeing with her. Someone sitting across from me made me jump slightly, only to smile whenever I saw Luna sitting there. She gave me a small smile before gesturing around to everyone.