P L A Y I N G T H E G A M E - C H A P T E R 16

Chapter 16

Amal sat up in the empty bed and grabbed her ringing cellphone. She was a little disappointed when she saw Faisal's name on the screen and not Casper's. The time on the phone read 10:00AM and he never stepped foot through the door. He did say he would be back really early in the morning, probably when she was sleeping, but he stood her up.

Amal shook her head but answered her cellphone anyway. "Good morning Faisal. How are you?"

"Good morning Amal, I'm fine thank you for asking. May I ask how you're morning is coming along?"

She chuckled, rubbing her eyes. "It's indecisive for now. I just woke up."

He returned her light laugh. "The best part of the day huh. Well, about your friend's little sister. I have an update on that." He said.

Amal got off the bed suddenly wide awake. She clutched the phone and began biting her nails. "Okay, give it to me."

"I have good news and bad news."

"Bad news first." Amal said.

"Well you said you recently linked up with judge Ronald Bailey. But the bad thing is Bailey is a federal judge. He doesn't deal with issues like the one your friend has. That's more of a family court problem. So a family court judge has to handle that. So, since Bailey can't help us we have to get a different judge."

"But Bailey could have gotten us through easy because he was getting extra money from my friend." Amal said sadly. "This new judge is going to want my friend in the courtroom and he'll have to fight against his mother for custody legally. But he has a record, there's no way he'll get his sister."

"Yeah. Him having a record is the bad part." Faisal said.

Amal sank down to the ground as her eyes started to water.

"Don't worry though. The good part is I know three family court judges. One I know personally so he can squeeze us through like butter, no problem. I promise your friend will be able to get his sister. So don't stress over it. Okay?"

Amal closed her eyes and took a deep breath resting her hand on her chest. She exhaled dramatically and reopened her eyes feeling like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. "Oh my gosh Faisal you scared me." She laughed, sniffling her tears away.

He chuckled. "Well I'm sorry for that madam..." The line got a little quiet before an awkward silence took over. Before it could last long Faisal cleared his throat and spoke into the phone. "Listen...I would love to take you out some–"

"Faisal I already told you, I have a boyfriend. I'm flattered but I can't." She said as politely as possible. Amal knew Faisal had a crush on her since that dinner from last time. He was handsome but she only had eyes for Casper. She was just hoping her denying him wouldn't affect their business relationship. She would just die if she couldn't get Brittany for Casper. She couldn't wait to have Brittany around permanently herself. That was like her daughter and little sister all in one. She loved that little girl.

Faisal sighed disappointingly. "I understand, my apologies for asking. No pressure. I'll get back to you with the information on this, okay?" He said.

"Alright." She mumbled feeling bad.

"And know I'll never stop trying. Since the moment I saw you I knew you were meant to be mine." He said.

Amal smiled and rolled her eyes. She felt like he took that line straight out of a corny romantic-comedy movie.

"Okay Faisal." She said amused.

She hung up then got off the floor and walked over to the dresser. She rested her phone down and looked in the mirror at herself. Casper was tall so his t-shirts fit her like dresses. Her eyes caught something sticking out the crevice of the black wood covering the perimeter of the mirror. She took it out and looked at it. A small smile slowly started to come across her face as her heart warmed.