There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (11)

I knew that I shouldn't have been scared, but I was. I definitely was. I felt like a little kid, but could you blame me? I was terrified!

Delinquents were actually going to be at the camp today. Everyone else brushed it off like it was nothing, but I definitely didn't. Delinquents!

This just felt so ridiculous to me. Wouldn't it to you? Were they even safe? I didn't feel like they were going to be. I mean, come on! Four delinquents, who were so bad that they had to go to a school for their kind, were going to be hanging around!

"Jesse's cousin is probably insane or something," Lexi said to me as we sat on the steps to our cabin, waiting for Jesse to show up with Marnie and the four delinquents. "Who would actually hang out with a delinquent like Seth Haven, someone who's killed before? And then she goes off and hangs out with another three delinquents, too? What's up with that?"

I shrugged, not really knowing what to say. I wasn't going to start judging Marnie until I met her; I was probably not even going to judge her then. I didn't know what she was like; I didn't even know what she looked like.

She could have been a really sweet girl who just got mixed into the wrong things. That was totally possible and probably what happened. Because, seriously, who hangs out with four delinquents?

"I wonder if they'll be nice," Chelsea sighed, coming up and sitting next to Lexi while AJ came to sit next to me. "I sure hope they're nice. It's fine that they're mean if they just leave me alone. I don't want to get mixed up with any juvenile delinquents."

"They could be nice," AJ suggested, pulling her knees up to her chin. "There's always the possibility that they're innocent or something."

"Not really," Chelsea, Lexi, and I all said flatly in unison, causing us to burst out laughing.

"How are things with you and Dallas, Jordan?" Chelsea asked, changing the subject after we all had finished laughing. Ugh, why did she have to bring him up? I didn't want to talk about him! I felt my cheeks burn, but I shook my head, as if that would make it go away.

"Th--there isn't anything going on..." I stuttered, continuing to shake my head as I bit the inside of my cheek, as if that would stop my blush. I knew that it wouldn't, but it was worth a try, wasn't it?

There wasn't anything going on between Dallas and me, was there? I mean, we had kissed twice... But he thought I was going out with Jesse! But Dallas had to like me, right? Why would he kiss me if he didn't like me?

"You can't lie to us, Jordan," Chelsea grinned, leaning forward so she could look over Lexi and at me. "There can't be nothing going on if he's kissed you twice. But what about you and Jesse? He interrupted you both times and he seemed pretty jealous and angry about it."

"He was just acting like a jealous boyfriend on purpose," I told them solemnly with a shake of my head. "Dallas thinks that we're going out, remember? Of course Jesse had to keep up with the act and ruin everything. He's just... ugh. Don't even get me started or I'll go on a complete rampage."

"What if Jesse actually likes you?" Lexi questioned, her eyebrows furrowing. "I mean, it is possible, isn't it? He's a guy, you're a girl, he's jealous whenever you're with Dallas..."

"He was only pretending to be jealous!"

"Do you know that for sure?" Chelsea grinned once again, leaning back now. "He could be really hurt that you and Dallas just might be getting together. He could really be upset, you know."

I snorted. "Yeah, right."

"I don't think Jesse has a crush on Jordan," AJ sneered, her eyebrows furrowed. "He seems to be interested in Aimee."