There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (27)

If this was a dream, I never wanted it to end. Could this just go on forever? All I needed in this world was Jesse Jacobsen. I could have been homeless and living in a box and I'd be perfectly fine as long as I had him. He was all I ever needed.

I sounded like such a lovesick puppy, but it was the truth. I loved Jesse Jacobsen more than anything on the entire planet. Even though it didn't start out that way four years before, it was going to end that way.

And now that I knew he loved me back, I was on top of the world.

"It's so sweet how close you two are."

I jumped away from Jesse, my eyes widening at the familiar voice that had just spoken.

Jesse stepped in front of me protectively, shielding me from the person that stood before us. I peeked from around his shoulder to see Hunter smirking at us, but I was expecting that.

"Piss off, Hunter," he spat, taking a step away from him, which caused me to take a step away as well. "Get out of here."

How did Hunter even get in here? He wasn't a student! Yeah, he sure as hell looked like one, but you needed a student ID card to get into the dance!

Ignoring Jesse almost completely, Hunter turned toward me with a smirk. The look in his eyes almost terrified me as he asked, "Miss me?"

I definitely did not miss him. In fact, it was the exact opposite.

He just needed to fly off a cliff.

And rot in hell where he belonged.

I never thought I could hate someone as much as I hated Hunter Drax. But I had a good reason to hate him.

I felt chills shoot up my spine, but I knew that they were bad instead of good. The last time I had seen Hunter, he had kissed me full on the lips. I hadn't told Jesse; I hadn't even told anyone. I didn't want anyone to ever know that I had kissed my grandmother's murderer.

"Don't you get anywhere near her," Jesse threatened, still shielding me.

Ignoring what he had said again, Hunter shoved his hands into the pockets of his tuxedo. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I noticed that he was dressed up like he was there for the prom as well.

But that was when realization hit me. Had he been there the entire time? Why else would he be dressed that way? Had he been spying on us the entire time?

"I've got to say it took you two some time," Hunter smirked with a nod, walking closer to us just a little. "I thought you both were going to stay clueless for the rest of your lives. Four years it's been, correct? That's a long time to be completely oblivious..."

I was the oblivious one, not Jesse. He had loved me ever since I had met him and I never even noticed. I had only loved him for a month or two, but he still didn't realize it either.

"Get out of here," Jesse repeated, sounding like he could have killed Hunter if I wasn't there. And I was sure he would have...

"Nuh-uh, not yet," Hunter grinned, taking another step toward us now. "I need to have a little talk with Jordan."

"You won't go anywhere near her," Jesse announced, making sure I was still safely behind him. "You need to just get out of here before I kick your ass."

Hunter shook his head, removing his hands from his pockets and crossing his arms over his chest. "Just one dance, Jesse. Don't tell me you're that possessive of her that you won't let her dance with another man," he teased, and I felt like bashing his face in. I couldn't even imagine how Jesse must have been feeling...