There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (23)

My eyes wanted to open, but I kept them sealed shut.

"Come on, Emery."

My eyes cracked open, but quickly closed once again. I just wanted to sleep... My whole body felt heavy, as if I had pain all over. My chest hurt, and I had a strange feeling that I couldn't breathe...

There was a pressure against my lips, and a gust of air was being shoved down my throat. It quickly went away after a few moments, and there was a pressure against my chest, a type of pounding.

Thump, thump, thump.

"Wake up, Emery..."

Pressure against my lips, a gust of air, and then more pressure on my chest once again, a lot more forceful this time. Almost like someone was pounding on my chest...

Thump, thump, thump.

This process continued a few times, and I couldn't figure out what it was. I would hear a voice, there would be a pressure against my lips and a gust of air would be forced into my mouth and down my throat, and then I would feel a pounding on my chest.

"Don't leave me, Jordan."

At the sound of this, my eyes snapped open just as the pressure on my lips pursued. My eyes widened when I saw that Jesse was kissing me as I lay against the cold concrete that surrounded the pool, where we were supposed to be for Aimee's party.

When I felt something come up my throat, I sat up quickly a pushed him away, coughing it up. I thought it was puke, but I looked down to see that there was nothing disgusting on me, so I assumed that it was only water. And I was glad that it was only that, since I didn't really feel like puking all over the guy I liked.

When I finally focused on my surroundings, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion to see people in swim suits surrounding me, most of them looking concerned. One of them, however, looked the exact opposite of concerned. Aimee looked like she was perfectly fine with whatever had just happened.

It took me a moment, but what had happened finally came back to me. Aimee pushed me into the pool, and I almost drowned... I then realized that Jesse wasn't kissing me, he was giving me CPR... Then did that mean that he had saved me from drowning as well?

"Alright, she's okay, you can all go back to whatever you were doing before," Aimee drawled in a bored fashion, waving the surrounding crowd away from me. She scowled at me herself before making her way toward her friends, forgetting that I was even there.

She almost killed me, and she didn't even care! Did she even think about what would have happened if I did die? Did she even think about what would have happened to her and how much trouble she would have gotten? Obviously not! One of these days, that stupid, self-centered bitch was going to get a huge wakeup call!

I looked over at Jesse, who was giving me a look that I couldn't read. I always hated when he gave me those looks... I never knew what he was thinking about when he gave them to me. Sometimes I just wished that he would tell me how he felt... But I was sure that that was never going to happen. Jesse wasn't exactly the type of guy that liked to share his feelings.

He was wet, obviously from the pool, and he was breathing kind of heavily. He had to have been the person that saved me, and the one that had given me CPR... Jesse Jacobsen just saved my life... He actually jumped into the pool to save me!

"So... do those count as my seventeen kisses?" he asked, smiling sadly at me. I knew he was trying to joke around and lighten the mood, but I didn't feel like laughing right then. I didn't think I'd ever want to laugh again, but I was probably just being overdramatic.