Chapter 4

It took her mind a few groggy minutes to begin to piece everything back together. The last few, however long it was, was a nightmarish hazy jumbled fog of pain and agony.

Focusing on her breathing Aislinn cautiously let her mind stretch. She was surprised to find that although she wasn't totally pain free it was at least bearable again. In fact she welcomed it, she would gladly feel this shitty echo-y soreness and mild discomfort for the rest of her life if it meant she never had to experience that other pain again. She shuddered at the memory, her mind shying away from even thinking about the mind-bending, mentally scarring and all-consuming pain that she had somehow lived through.

Her head felt heavy and her skin was tight and ultra-sensitive but she managed to eventually wrestle her eyes open.

"Oh thank the goddess! You're alive!"

Why did it seem that every time she woke up she was destined to have her eardrums destroyed? Was she not in enough discomfort?

She winced away from the familiar voice. It was becoming a vaguely annoying routine.

Though if she was truly honest with herself she knew that deep ... deep down she was secretly thankful for the company no matter how high-pitched and chatty it was. The sound of the other girl's heartbeat and breathing were the only things at the moment that let Aislinn know she was actually awake and presumably then ... alive.

Maybe she should give the girl a break.

"Sorry I scared you." Aislinn managed to get out. Hearing the hoarseness of her voice the girl placed the water bottle to her lips.

But not without more babbling of course. For the sake of the cool soothing water Aislinn decided to let it go.

"I was so scared. You went back to sleep and I was like 'okay here we go again' I'm gonna go crazy talking to myself and then like a few hours later you went nuts. I didn't know what to do you were in so much pain. But I didn't want them to know you were awake but you kept screaming and there was so much blood. And oh god I don't know how your alive. I just ... that was flipping the scariest thing I have ever ever seen."

"I'm okay." Aislinn said when the water stopped.

"Okay!? ARE YOU INSANE?" Aislinn winced at the volume.

Obviously seeing it Ciera took on her whispered yelling voice again. "Sorry! But are you like insane?" she demanded but before Aislinn could answer she was off again. "You are not okay. You are about as un-okay as a person can get. I mean let's ignore the whole being in a like coma for two weeks without food or water thing for a minute. And just ... have you even like seen yourself?"

Aislinn didn't even try to answer that. She could barely open her eyes how the hell was she supposed to have examined the extent of her injuries. She could feel them though and had a pretty good idea of the level of damage that had been inflicted. It wasn't good, but she'd had worse ... maybe. Not thinking that her assessment would help the situation any she decided to treat the question as rhetorical and stayed silent. Keeping her opinions to herself.

The girl humphed when it became obvious she wasn't going to speak. "Your wrists and ankles are ... well ... Goddess Aislinn they don't even look like they belong to a person anymore. I can see your bones." Her voice was faint and horror filled by the end.

"I'll heal."

"HEAL!?"

The whisper yelling was better but it still did a number on her.

"You're going to heal from that?"

"Yes." By now she was only half paying attention to the conversation the rest of her focus was tuned inward as she mentally probed and prodded her body. Taking note of the various injuries. She needed to try and gauge how fast she was healing, not to mention how much energy she had managed to store up and how to start accessing her wolf.