Chapter 10

When Aislinn woke there was no confusion. She had no moment of panic, no sense of disorientation. There was no moment of dread that it had been a dream, a hope, a fantasy. Every piece of her, every cell and every fiber knew exactly where she was. It was simple. It was instinct. A knowledge as deep rooted and entrenched as the very sense of knowing oneself. She was incapable of not knowing where she was. Could never not know him.

He was hers and she was his.

And finally she was where she belonged.

The tears filled her eyes, she blinked rapidly trying to dispel them but it was useless. Just as they began to overflow, running in steady streams over her cheeks and into her hair she was pulled into his chest. His face nuzzled into her neck as he took deep inhales his breath fanning over her skin. Burying her face into his shirt she was wrapped in a blanket of the scent of cold crisp snow and sunshine mixed with pure maleness that was all him. Warmth radiated from him in glorious waves. It washed away the last lingering traces of the feel of the damp cool air of the cell left on her skin. His voice filled her head as he whispered words of love and comfort softly into her skin. His lips brushed lightly as they moved eliciting reassuring goosebumps at the touch. Her body shook and trembled against his as her sobs poured out at last all of the pain, hurt, anger and fear from not only the last few weeks but the years she had lived alone and without him. His arms enfolded her, pulling her tightly into the shelter of his large frame before wrapping around her. Encasing her in a cage of safety and adoration. Offering protection as they fought off her demons.

Slowly she calmed. Her mind and body falling limp under the weight of exhaustion. Rolling onto his back, he drew her with him until she lay tucked into his side, her head under his chin and her cheek resting on his chest as their legs lay entwined. One of his hands rubbed soothing circles on her back easing her breathing as the other rested gently but possessively on her hip. Letting her eyes flutter closed she focused on the steady sound of his heartbeat as it filled her ear. Listening to the strong beat of her mate's heart she fell into a deep peaceful and dreamless sleep.

.

.

"I know you're awake mate."

Sh*t.

"You can't fool me."

Double sh*t.

Aislinn had been awake for the last five minutes but had been feigning sleep trying to put off the inevitable conflict to come. Kaiden had been waiting for her to wake up, his previous relief at her recovery having given way over night to anger.

He was not at all happy with her. Through the mate bond she was getting a steady stream of pissed off possessiveness, mixed with overwhelming concern. And cowardly she had decided to go with the hiding tactic to try and put off having to face his wrath.

"You can keep your eyes closed as long as you want love, you can't hide from me forever." His voice was light and teasing but Aislinn could feel the accompanying threat and hint of anger that ran underneath. She was in deep trouble.

Letting out a long sigh which got a soft chuckle from him, she wrenched her eyes open. Blinking from the sudden light, she focused on the sight of her mate. Searching his face, tears welled in her eyes.

Worry and concern took over his features as he watched her eyes well up, his anger completely forgotten as he searched her over for any sign of injury. "Love what's the matter? What happened? Are you okay? What hurts?" His panic spiked as the tears spilled over, his arms unwrapped themselves from around her so that his hands could cup her face bringing it closer to his own. His eyes now stormy and dark with worry and fear searched her face for any clue, his thumbs catching the tears as they fell.