Chapter 12

"Something's bothering you." Kaiden's voice was loud in the darkened and otherwise silent room.

Aislinn glanced up from the sketchbook balanced on her lap to find him watching her. His hair still damp from the shower, small beads of water clinging to him. A few slowly trailed down and over his skin before soaking into the collar of his grey t-shirt. His face was cast in shadows, hiding his expression from her. All she could make out was the bright blue of his eyes as they pierced into her.

The light pouring in from the dressing room behind him illuminated his silhouette. With the only other source being the pale moon light filtering in through the windows; him and the room were plunged into an odd obscurity. Harsh and yet soft, overlapping and mixing, coming together until the familiar became foreign and what was known; forgotten. It was the perfect balance of light and dark to coax the deepest secrets and to summon the darkest desires.

Leaning against the doorframe Kaiden crossed one bare foot over the other, his dark grey sweats riding low on his hips, as he surveyed his mate where she sat on the couch. Pencils scattered about her, sketchbook open, concentration defining her features. The sight comforting. The scent that was all her, mixing and blending with those of charcoal and paper so deliciously familiar. His chest squeezed. He had never wanted to admit it, but there had been a part of him that had been sure he would never get to experience this again. Would never get to see his mate like this another time.

"A lot is bothering me." Aislinn replied bending her head once more over her drawing.

"We need allies. We need packs fighting on our side."

"Yes, you mentioned that."

"What would you prefer? To go to war alone? To be outnumbered? Whether either of us wants to admit it we need their help."

"What I would prefer is to have less deaths on my hands."

She didn't looked up from the page. Her hand meticulously moving over the creamy smooth surface, never pausing as she spoke black scars trailing in her wake.

Kaiden pushed off the doorframe, his agitation compelling him to move. To run his hands through his damp hair. A motion that sent a spray of water droplets into the air which he barely noticed. "Aislinn." His voice broke. Thick with frustration, his own desperation, and a deep sadness.

At her name, Aislinn finally lifted her head. Looking up she met the eyes that were now clouded and troubled. "What Kaid?" She asked her own emotions leaking into her words.

His expression softened at the sound of his name on her lips. Walking forward he moved until he was standing directly before her. Crouching down on his haunches he brought his face to her level. His hand reaching out to gently cup her cheek.

Leaning into the touch, her eyes closed in contentment as she savored the explosion of tingles and sparks that even such a simple gesture brought. Sighing as the sensation spread out from where his hand lay, and traveled pleasantly over her skin. Nuzzling her face further into his touch she sighed again.

"This isn't your fault." His voice was soft but firm. His eyes darkening further from the force of his churning emotions. Keeping his gaze on her he captured a few stray strands of hair that had fallen forward over her shoulder. Twirling the silky silver strands around his fingers before tenderly tucking them behind her ear.

Gradually her eyes fluttered open to meet his. She needed him to see, to understand. "But it is." The words were little more than a whisper, bringing fresh tears to her eyes as the truth of them burned in her throat, consumed her heart.

Part of her balked at her new found emotions. Still uncomfortable with such obvious and dramatic displays. But that part was growing smaller and smaller every day. The bigger part, the part that was growing stronger and bigger, was filled with pure sweet relief. Relief that she could finally let it all out, that she didn't have to fear and hide such important and integral parts of herself. The fact that it was to her mate, and that he didn't recoil or reprimand her just made it all the better. That he was accepting her, even the broken, twisted and imperfect parts of her, was enough to have her wanting to break down all over again.