Chapter 4

There was an eerie green glow within the cave itself, and it reflected off pools of water with made dripping sounds as water fell from the stalactites above. With each step further into the cave, Mallyra grew a bit more wary. Pippin however, took the exploring in his stride as he ducked under, and leaped over, large rocks lined with old skeletons. He'd almost completely forgotten that he was holding Mallyra's hand, until she pulled him to a halt. 

"what was that for?" he asked, sounding nervous, but slightly annoyed at the same time. Mallyra frowned at him, and then pointed into the darkness, not saying a word. Her heart felt like it was going to burst from her chest, and she felt a little dizzy. In front of them, was a large cavern, filled with the worst kind of darkness. Shadows. Mallyra swallowed hard, when she managed to make out what the looming shapes on the floor actually were.

Many large animal carcases were decomposing all over the cave floor, some quite fresh. The smell was almost unbearable, along with the sight. Pippin bent down an picked up a skull, or at least it looked like one.

"What do you think did this then?" he asked, chucking it back onto the ground. Mallyra shrugged a little, before taking a cautious step forward. Pippin frowned at her, shaking his head slightly. 

"What's wrong with you? You haven't said a word since we got out that tunnel," he sighed, walking up next to her. Mallyra shrugged again, looking down at the floor, and taking the torch in her hand. 

"Nothing, I-I'm fine," She lied, before beginning to explore, her head swimming. Every shadow, every movement, made her feel like running and hiding in the corner. The dark just wasn't something she could deal with. It made her feel alone, like a small child tucked under the bed covers, hiding from the monsters under the bed. But her fears began to subside, when she noticed a small pool, hidden in an indent on the cave floor.

She peered at it curiously, before kneeling down next to it. It didn't look so deep, and it shone, like the puddles in the tunnel. Mallyra reached out her hand, and went to touch the bottom, it could only be wrist deep at most. However, it was much deeper than that. What looked like the bottom of the pool, was actually a reflection off the ceiling.

Mallyra pulled back in shock at first, before she took a sharp breath and reached back in. She was almost up to her elbows, when she felt rock against her finger tips. The rock was cold, almost like the snow which lay on the tops of the misty mountains. She continued to run her fingers against the rock, until something hit against her hands. It rolled around slightly, and definitely didn't feel like a rock.

Mallyra closed her fist around it, and slowly pulled her hand from the pool. She unwrapped her fingers, and almost fell back in shock. In the palm of her hand lay a small diamond in the shape of a tear, that was strung from a thin silver chain. Mallyra watched as she held the chain between her thumb and forefinger and let the diamond spin around, causing multi-coloured shards of light to leave its surface.  Mallyra looked around, before carefully placing the diamond into her pocket.

She stood up again, and swung her head round. Pippin, was no where to be seen. Mallyra felt her knees go a little weak, at the thought of being alone in the dark. 

"P-Pippin.." She stuttered, looking around anxiously. She took a sharp breath when she heard a shuffling noise behind her. Slowly, Mallyra turned. She was met by a large skull of a warg, and a loud noise.

"RAAAAAAAAAWRRR!" Pippin shouted, jumping down in front of her. Mallyra shrieked, and fell back onto the floor, holding her arm in front of her eyes to cover the tears that were welling in them. She looked up after a few seconds, as she heard Pippin's recognisable laugh. He was in hysterics on the floor, rolling around as he laughed. Mallyra stared in amazement at first, and then snarled loudly, making Pippin sit up.