Chapter 26

********

"What d'you mean she doesn't exist?!" Mallyra squealed, her alarm echoing through the chasm. Merry jerked forward and covered her mouth quickly, indicating her to keep her tones hushed.

"I'm just saying. The elf Gildare didn't have a daughter the last time I read about him, and elves aren't exactly 'over fertile' so it's not like she could've been born within this amount of time. Plus, She looks far too old to have been born within my lifetime." Merry added, hooking his index finger over his lip and his thumb under his chin in thought. Mallyra's brows knitted together in a frown as she stared into the centre of the fire. 

"I don't understand.. I mean, it's not like she's a ghost or anything because she's real flesh and blood. D'you think she could've given a false name or?" She asked quietly, glancing back at the elf. Her silver hair was draped gently over her shoulders, and her chest moved slowly in time with her soft breathing. "Do you think Aiwendil knows?.."

"I don't know.. maybe.. It's just so odd. Her. This place. And I know that Aiwendil does exist so.. I can't get my head around it." Merry ran his fingers through his golden curls and sighed. He looked across at Mallyra, a soft, sympathetic look in his eyes.  She returned a smile, and tucked a loose piece of hair behind her pointed ear. They fell into silence once more, as both of them thought through what they had just discussed. They were only disturbed when Lothiri finally stirred. She'd been facing the wall as she'd slept, but as she turned to face them again, the recognizable silver trails of tears caught the fire light and Mallyra's attention. 

"Lothiri? W-were you crying?.." She asked, getting to her feet and padding over to the elf's side. The elf flinched at her touch, and her green eyes avoided looking up into the hobbit's.

"I heard you talking to Merry.." She finally muttered, a single tear escaping from her eye and splashing down her chin. Mallyra felt a lump form in her throat, as she looked back at Merry, and pulled an awkward face. He winced back at her, rubbing the back of his neck. Lothiri's face was now expressionless as she wiped the remaining tears from her face, and got to her feet. She paced silently to the other side of the chasm, picked up her bow and re-sheathed her dagger, before putting out the fire and grabbing a torch from the wall. Mallyra looked shamefully across at Merry, who shuffled and looked at his feet. Lothiri neared the entrance of the next tunnel, shuddered, and then faced the hobbits again.

"We must press on. We need to reach the pass of the lonely mountain. Even if that means I must endure a test of will as we walk through the chambers ahead." She said solemnly. Mallyra nodded, looking Lothiri in the eye. The only thing that ran through her mind was the pain she'd seen in Lothiri's eyes not a few moments ago.

They continued through different tunnels and chambers for what seemed like days, each one telling the ancient tales of the first men who lived in the caves. Lothiri became evidently more anxious the more time they spent in the caves. Something wasn't right, something that came into the light as they stepped into the largest cave within the structure. Lothiri lit the first torch in the cavern, and almost dropped hers as the cave illuminated.

In the centre of the cavern was a huge table made of stone,and on that, a large skull. A skull of a dragon. It was long, thick, had a beak like structure at the end of the snout, and a bony frill sticking from the crown it. On the other side of the chasm was a pool, the ceiling reflecting onto the surface, giving the illusion that it was shallower than it actually was. The elf froze to the spot, and hardly breathed. Mallyra began to feel uncomfortable, like something or someone was watching her. However, her curiosity drew her to the pool side. The idea of it's true depth fascinating her. Merry held back next to Lothiri, watching the chasm carefully. He too felt a presence like non other he'd felt before, but he couldn't quite put his finger what it was. The skull was indeed intriguing, but as were the blood paintings on the smooth stone walls around them.

"There is nothing but death here.." he breathed, resulting in a sideways glance from Lothiri. But her attention soon turned to the other hobbit, as Mallyra placed her fingertips to the surface of the water.

"Mallyra, NO!" She shouted, causing Mallyra to startle and fall backwards onto the hard ground. But it was too late.

Out of nowhere, a pale blue mist began to form over the pool. It drew together and swirled upwards, like a small tornado. Mallyra scrambled to her feet, and quickly ran over to Merry's side. She looked across at the elf and watched as tears rolled freely down her expressionless face.

"Lothiri, I didn't mean t-" she started, but stopped when Lothiri's green eyes peered down at her.

"There is no need to worry, Mallyra.." she said softly, before walking forward a little.  Mallyra frowned hard at the elf. She had wanted her to stop.. so why did she just?.. Mallyra's thoughts were interrupted by the tornado like mist forming into another shape. It made a sound like a yawn, before taking it final form. Merry's jaw almost dropped to the ground. Before them, pulsating and twisting above the pool, was a dragon's face made entirely of the mist. It's eyes burned blue, and it's face was exactly the same shape as the skull on the stone table. Lothiri bowed her head slightly,

" Biin. Mu drey ni seik wah vodremt praan staad.." she said quietly. The shadowy creature pulled itself from the pool, revealing a twisting, smokey body.

"You?.."  It replied, a rich, masculine voice leaving it's lips. Mallyra swallowed hard, almost hiding behind Lothiri. The misty dragon's body loomed above them, it's eyes wide in shock.

"I thought you were lost.. I searched for you. I thought you were dead." It sighed, pain twanging in it's voice. Mallyra felt Lothiri begin to shake, and immediately looked across at Merry. He was still stuck in shock, mouth and eyes wide open. Lothiri stepped forward, and reached out her hand towards the spirit dragon, and it appeared to rub it's muzzle against it.

"I'm so sorry, Jura.. I-I should have let you know I was alive. I'm sorry.. I wasn't strong enough." Lothiri began to blubber, more and more salty tears trickled down her cheeks. Merry gasped slightly, looking up at the ghostly dragon,

"Jura the bronze dragon?.." a strong hint of confusion in his voice. Mallyra ignored his words, and clasped her hand around Lothiri's, making the elf jump. She looked back at the hobbit, and smiled through her tears.

"Mallyra.. I.."  She began, but stopped as the spirit of Jura pulled away from her.

"You must leave them. Elurka has been roaming these lands, and must be stopped. Come, dear friend. It is time.." Lothiri turned to look back at the dragon, then looked at both Mallyra and Merry, and crouched down.

"I will always be as I am." She whispered, half smiling, half frowning. "I will always be your friend, the one you trusted," Lothiri placed a hand to Mallyra's cheek and kissed her on the forehead. "And I will protect you till the day I leave this earth." Mallyra's face fell,

"Wh- where are you going?.." Mallyra's eye's welled with tears. Merry placed a hand on her shoulder reassuringly,

"It's okay, Lothiri, I understand.." He said quietly, resulting in Mallyra's face filling with confusion,

"But I still don't understand, just tell me.." She pleaded, holding on tightly to the elf's hand.

"Mallyra, you must understand I have to g-" She started. Mallyra blubbered, rubbing away a small tear.

"Please don't leave, Lothiri. Pippin's not here, which is bad enough. I can't lose another friend.." Mallyra's heart spiked with pain as she remembered Pippin's kiss on her lips, causing more tears to fall. The elf chuckled, snivelling lightly.

"It's okay, Mallyra. You're strong enough, and don't worry, I'll be back before you know it." She smiled. Lothiri tucked a loose hair behind Mallyra's ear, smiled once more and then stood up again. The misty dragon smiled slightly, as Lothiri walked towards him.

"Your feelings surprise me" He chuckled, before nodding at the hobbits.

"Good luck, Mallyra Flintwater." he added, watching as Mallyra's eyes widened.

"How did you?-" Mallyra started, but then realised that would be a stupid question to ask a dragon. She shuffled, and then looked up at Lothiri. The elf returned a wide grin, before the dragon put it's forearm around her, and pulled her towards the water in the corner. The dragon tutted, and watched as Lothiri stepped down into the rim of the pool.

"You seem to have gained elvish emotions. Clearly you have spent to time in the world of men, Uryté."