Chapter 20

Mallyra stood up almost immediately after she'd said those words, rubbing her arm awkwardly and walking across the roof top. Pippin was quick to follow, attempting to pull her back towards him by putting his hands around her waist. Mallyra placed her hand onto his chest and pushed him back gently. 

"I don't-" Pippin started, but Mallyra shushed him using her right index finger.

"I'm sorry Pippin, I can't be with you." She muttered, avoiding looking into his green eyes. Pippin stood in silence, processing what she'd just said. 

"But... I thought after we'd just.." he stuttered, fighting back small tears in the corner of his eyes. Mallyra saw them and a sharp pain ran through her heart. She didn't want to hurt him, she wanted nothing more than to be with him, but she knew she couldn't. She couldn't risk his life, not when she knew she cared about him so much. 

"It's for your own good Pip, you know how it is in the stories. The one who's desitined to save everything has to sacrifice the ones they love for their safety." she tried to explain, not knowing just how to put it into words without telling him what Lothiri had said to him. 

"But..  then who's going to save you?" he asked, grabbing her hand and pulling her close to him. Mallyra smiled at his words,

"No one, that's the point.." She breathed. Pippin went to speak, until he spotted Aiwendil stood in the courtyard watching them, his orange eyes glinting in the moonlight. Mallyra saw his reaction and she too turned and saw the elf. In a panic, she took Pippin by the wrist and lead him off the roof. 

Aiwendil stood silently, watching as the two hobbits approached him, both red in the face with embarrassment. He nodded slightly as Mallyra came to a halt by his side, and then used his right arm to indicate them in the direction of the main hall.

"Lothiri has been looking for you both. You must rest as we're leaving at dawn." He said quietly, his deep voice still managing to sound serious as he trailed off into a mumble. Pippin swallowed hard, before walking off down the hall. Mallyra went to follow, but Aiwendil put his hand out to stop her. 

"I need to speak with you a moment Miss Flintwater." He continued. Mallyra felt a shudder make it's way down her spine. This would be the first time Aiwendil had ever spoken to her on her own, and had a feeling she knew exactly what he was going to say if he knew what Lothiri did. But to her surprise, Aiwendil had another subject in mind. The elf reached back onto his belt, and from behind his cape he pulled out a pure white dagger with a streak of black running through it's core. To Mallyra it looked almost exactly like Aiwendil's but smaller, more hobbit sized. 

"This is yours. I fashioned it from a tooth of Glasin's which was knocked out in the commotion earlier this evening. As it is dragonbone, the strongest substance on this earth. So strong, it will pierce the hide of a dragon as if it were mearly human flesh." he said, shuddering as  a more stern tone crept into his voice. Mallyra took the blade from his hand and held it in hers. The blade wasn't too heavy, but still felt like it had a swing to it . 

"How did you know how to make this?.." she asked inquisitively, peering up at the elf. Aiwendil fiddled with the hilt of his sword, which hung by his left side. 

"It wasn't too hard to figure it out, the elves are well known for their ability of crafting weapons. Which reminds me." he added, before pulling out a small leather sheath. "You will need this," Aiwendil handed it to her, and watched as Mallyra fastened it around her hips and slip the sword into it's sheath. "see, it is a fine fit," He coughed, before nodding and then continuing down the corridor.

"Thank you, Aiwendil."  Mallyra shouted after him. The elf turned on the spot and looked back down at the hobbit in front of him. 

"You're most welcome Miss Flintwater. Afterall, you're classed as a dragon hunter now." The last words of Awiendil's sentence seemed to make him shudder again, and he let his mind wander before he turned on his heels once more and strode off back down the corridor.

Mallyra looked down at the weapon which now hung from her hip. 

"A dragon hunter? But.. I don't want to kill any dragons. I doubt I'd even be tall enough." She chuckled to herself,  beginning to walk after Aiwendil.

For the rest of the night, Mallyra lay in her bed staring at the ceiling. She found it hard to sleep as the events of the evening swirled around in her mind. Turning over onto her side, Mallyra caught a glimpse out of the window. The sun was just beginning to rise over the mountains, crowning them in a burst of vibrant orange. Footsteps on the cobbles outside made Mallyra sit up immediately. It was Lothiri, starting to saddle up the horses. But to Mallyra's surprise, the elf had changed her robes. Instead of the long green robe which Mallyra had become accustomed to seeing her in, the elf now wore a robe of what looked like a light grey which was just a bit darker than her silver hair. The belt which enhanced her figure was still there, as too was the elongated bow and her arrows. She watched as the elf fastened the girth of a saddle of her horse, which was nuzzling in her pockets, and then took the reins in her hands. 

"Why don't you come outside Mallyra, it's a beautiful morning and there's no point sitting inside if you cannot sleep." Lothiri smiled, casting a slight glance towards Mallyra's window.

"How?" the hobbit questioned, before shrugging and standing up slowly. Mallyra shielded her eyes with her hand as she walked out into the bright sunlight. The air was still crisp, but it was a relief from being cooped up in a stuffy room. With a saddle now fitted, Mallyra's horse stood with his head over the a stable door, whinnying quietly at the sight of his friend. Mallyra rubbed his muzzle gently, before running her fingers through his thick black mane. "Good Morning to you too Osment, how do you fair?" She smiled, before she turned to face Lothiri again.

The elf was already behind her, making her jump,

"He likes the name you've given him more than the one he was born with," Lothiri smiled, placing her hand Mallyra's shoulder. "and he's most certainly ready to see the adventure through by your side." The horse whinnied again, and stamped a hoof onto the cobbles beneath him. A warm fuzz passed through Mallyra, but faded quickly as she turned back to look up at Lothiri.

"How long will it take?" She asked, her eyes wide. Lothiri breathed out gently, before heading back toward a large room, and returning with yet another saddle. She placed it down on the stable door before glancing back down at Mallyra.

"I don't know Mallyra.. But it's going to take us well over a month to get to the Iron hills from here. Then we have to find where Vasuka is hiding himself. What will await there, I do not know. You just need to be strong for now Mallyra, your life depends on it."

SORRY IT'S TAKEN SO LONG! (AND ISNT THAT MUCH OF AN EXCITING CHAPTER!) But exams and stuff. I think I'm doing well in them but I know that's not really relevant xD I'm trying to update it as quickly as I can and I reckon I'm about halfway through the story now sooooo.. Anyway thanks for all the comments and stuff guys, it's really motivating me and I hope you're all okay! E xx