Chapter 29

******

Pippin stared, a bit taken a back, at Aiwendil,

"So you're telling me that you want us to ride.. that dragon all the way to the lonely mountain pass?" He asked, fiddling with the end of his scarf. Aiwendil simply smiled back at him, a slight glint in his eye.

"That's exactly what I'm saying, Pippin." He chuckled, gesturing to the white dragon's foreleg. Pippin frowned even harder at the elf, before then glancing across at Sam and Frodo. Frodo shrugged, hesitating a little, and then placing his hand gently on the dragon's forearm. His heart was almost in his mouth, as his hand drew nearer to the glistening scales. The sesnsation that met his fingertips wasn't the one he'd been expecting, causing him to momentarily freeze on the spot. The dragon's scales were soft, like silk, and felt like they could offer as little protection as Frodo's bare skin.

"Would you like some help, Frodo?" Aiwendil smiled. The hobbit looked up at him, bewildered and eyebrows raised. 

"Nothing could have ever prepared me to ride a dragon, Aiwendil. So yes, I may need so help." He answered, reaching out for the Raena's leg once again. The sensation was still the same, but just as mesmerising. With Aiwendil pushing upwards on Frodo's feet, the hobbit managed to pull himself further up the dragon's side, until he was wedged comfortably between two of the dragon's ridges. 

"You next Pippin," He added, watching as Pippin went through the almost exact routine as Frodo. After twho of the hobbit were sat securely on the dragon's back, Aiwendil glimbed further up Raena's outstretched foreleg as sat on her haunches. 

"Now for you, Samwise." He smiled, pulling the last hobbit up with one hand. Sam placed himself down behind Aiwendil as to hold on to the elf"s waist as the flew. Aiwendil placed his arms in front of Pippin and on the the ridge right in front of them. The hobbits hearts were racing faster than they ever had before, and a sickly feeling welles in all of their stomachs.

"Are you sure this is safe?" Frodo asked, his nervousness blatantly obvious in his voice.

"Just relax, hobbit. I will not let you fall." Raena assured him, her soft voice extinguishing their anxiety. It was hard for Frodo to imagine her on Vasuka's council, as she seemed so placid.. not a destroyer of villages in any way. As the dragon got into her correct stance, Frodo could feel every muscle on her back contracting. He felt a wave pass under him as she extended her sharded wings. Pippin nudged Frodo,

"If I fall off this dragon tell my mum she's still not allowed to know where my secret biscuit stash i-" he started but stopped as Raena's legs began to move. The way she ran was awkward, as her body rippled with power and quickly gained speed. This, was nothing like any of them could have imagined. After a few more strides of Raena's legs, her hind legs launched them up into the crisp sky, the turbulence alone  almost pulling them from their seats. Pippin let out a small shriek, and tightened his grip on the road before him, trying ro avoid looking down. Five minutes passed before Raena was able to level out over the deep snow beneath them.

"She is going to try and climb further, hold on tightly, hobbits!" Aiwendil shouted over the shrill wind, attempting to make himself heard. However, the wind tore at the hobbits ears, and left them almost numb. Aiwendil knew that if they climbed too high, the cold would cause them to perish. With a light jolt, Raena's wings began to beat steadily, increasing their high little by little.

"This is amazing!" Frodo beamed, as he cast his glance outward over the frostbitten hills and moutains beneath. "They will never believe us back home will they, Sam?" He turned head to look back over his shoulder. There was no reply.

"Sam?" Pippin echoed, waiting for a response. "Sam are you okay?" Aiwendil reached for the hobbits hands which were situated on his waist. But they were not there.

"Samwise?!" The elf turned sharply from his position in order to look behind him. His stomach dropped at the sight of a dragon's behind with no other hobbit in sight.

"Where is Sam?!" Frodo panicked, his bright eyes wide in fear. For a moment, Aiwendil was frozen with fear of the thought of what had happened to him.. until a recognisable voice lapped across his mind. Aiwendil breathed a sigh of relief, before turning back to the hobbits before him.

"Samwise is in good hands, little masters. He will be meeting us at the pass shortly," Aiwendil pointed to the horizon, where the lonely mountain stood silhouetted in a purple band across the line where the earth met sky.

******5 minutes earlier

Sam awoke with his face pressed into the cold snow, his nose almost numb. With his eyes firmly shut, Sam was seeing stars, and his body ached all over. For a split second as he was falling from Raena's back, Sam was sure that he was about to meet his end, and yet this pain proved that he hadn't. He continued to lay numb in the snow for the following ten minutes, trying to figure out what he was to do. That was, until Sam felt a large presence fall over him. He shuffled uncomfortably under it, as he turned on his side. A sharp pain spiked through his arm, as Sam finally propped himself up from the white surrounding him.

"Samwise?" A female voice said quietly. "Are you okay?" It continued. Sam rubbed the stars from his eyes, and began to open them.

"Lothiri? What are you doing here?" He sounded confused as he recognised her voice. A bright light poured into his eyes, blinding him momentarily. "I thought you were wity Mallyra and M-" Sam stopped abruptly, as his lips refused to move. Before him, was a huge, slender dragon. It was a brilliant silver colour, and glistened in the sunlight. The dragon's head towered above, and had a rounded snout. It also have two long, smooth silver horns with black tips, pointing up and back from the head. It also had a pronounced sharp frill under the chin, which had the rough appearance of a goatee. The silver dragon also had a beautiful frill that began at the top of its head and flowed all the way down its neck and body to the very tip of  it's spindly tail. The frill was silver towards the body, fading to a purple hue at the edge. Sam blinked, before making contact with the large purple eyes which were starting right at him.

"I am no longer Lothiri.." the beast spoke softly, her voice still held its elf like quality. "I am Uryté, the silver dragon. And I am here to take you to the pass of the lonely mountain Samwise. I have made contact with Aiwendil, and the others are continuing on their route, so you must climb onto my back, Sam. We have no time to lose.