Chapter 9

The moon became shrouded in clouds, making Hobbiton fall into darkness. The foul stench of evil drifted like a thick smoke through the air. Mallyra’s mother fell to her knees, her screams of pain echoing around the room. By now, everyone in the Green Dragon was watching as Mallyra and Pippin tried to help her mother to her feet. As she stood, Mallyra’s mother put her hand to her chest.

‘RA! IT HURTS SO MUCH!’ she yelled, tears streaming down her burning cheeks. Mallyra went to touch the area she was pointing to,

"OUCH!" Mallyra yelped, pulling her hand back, it burned.

Suddenly, Mallyra’s mother shoved her and Pippin to the side, both of them falling to the floor. A small light appeared in the diamond that hung around her neck. With a burst of light, flames began to emerge from her mother’s chest. Mallyra watched in horror, as talons of flame rose out of her mother. People screamed and ran out of the pub, causing chaos. Small children that had lost their mothers, began to cry. Mallyra glanced around at Pippin, who had his eyes fixed upon her mother. He turned to look back at Mallyra, she had a small tear rolling down her cheek. Heart beat growing faster, Pippin crawled across the floor and helped Mallyra to her feet.

"What’s happening?" she cried, as she watched her mother get shrouded in flames. Pippin tried to pull Mallyra away from the heat, but she refused to move. Mallyra’s mother closed her eyes, and the flames that surrounded her, turned black. The scaled hand rose up into the air, knife like claws outstretched. Mallyra held her breath.

"Mum!" She gasped, watching with open eyes. The talons plummeted towards her mother again, grasping the diamond, and pulling it into her chest. It melted right through her skin, completely disappearing in the blink of an eye. Another flame sparked, and then the fire was drawn back into Mallyra’s mother, who was knelt breathlessly in the centre of the room.

The room fell silent. The only hobbit’s that remained inside the green dragon were Ra, Pippin, Sam, Merry and Frodo. Mallyra’s mother fell a little more, still clutching her chest. Mallyra ran to her side, tears streaming down her pale face.

‘MUM! MUM!’ she shook her mother violently by the shoulders, but her eyes stayed firmly closed.  Pippin crouched down next to her, feeling for a pulse. He breathed a sigh of relief,

"she’s alive Ra," He said, as he watched her collapsed onto her mother’s shoulder. Sam, Frodo Merry, Pippin and Mallyra were now the only ones left in the Green Dragon. The door hung open loosely, blowing in the calming winds. Pippin stood up and walked over to his friends, who had stepped out of teh shadows a little more,

"She’s okay... I think. Well, she’s breathing," He said quietly, glancing back towards Mallyra. Frodo nodded slightly, as did Merry, but Sam shuffled over to where Mallyra was crouched, holding her mother hand.

"Do you want any help? We could move her? It’s not really ‘secretive’ here," he said gently, peering cautiously at her. Mallyra looked up at him, her eyes red with tears.

"y-yeah... ok,"she stuttered, nodding slowly. Sam held Mallyra’s mother upright, as Merry put his arm around her shoulder. Then, he and Merry carried her up to Mallyra’s house, Frodo, Pippin and Mallyra slowly walking behind them.

"It's all my fault.. It's all my fault!" Mallyra sighed, covering her face with one hand. Pippin glanced at her, before placing an arm around her shoulder.

"It's not Ra.. It's nobody's fault.." He whispered to her, attempting to comfort his distressed friend. Mallyra pushed opened her front door, and lead Sam and Merry through to her mother’s room. They laid her mother down on her bed before Mallyra tucked her in, gently kissing her on the forehead. Her mother’s eyes suddenly flashed open, making Mallyra fall backwards onto her knees. Her mothers eyes were still black, no life filled them, and her skin was almost white.