Chapter 7

"Pippin?" Mallyra breathed, a little confused a first. The lad turned, and seemed to watch as he was pulled towards the window, by a fair blonde haired lass. Mallyra quickly ducked down out of sight, and crouched behind a bookshelf. She watched as Pippin walked past, peering in the window slightly, and talking to somebody, before continuing on his walk with the lass.

***********

"What are you looking at?" Pervinca squeaked, peering curiously at her brother. Pippin stood, watching the window for a few more seconds before answering his questioning sister.

"I'm sure I saw somebody I knew.. Just in that window there.." he stuttered, sounding quite confused. Pervinca tilted her head at him, and then dragged Pippin by the wrist towards the window. 

"There, nobody's there, come on! we need to go!" she insisted, getting a little impatient with her younger brother. Pippin peered in the window, looking a round a little, then shrugging.

"I'm sure I saw Ra.." he sighed, walking a little further. Pervinca raised a blonde eyebrow at him,

"Who, is Ra?" she teased, poking him in the arm. Pippin made a slight wincing noise as he rubbed his arm.

"I- er- nobody... Ju-" He started, blushing down at the floor.

**************

"Ra, What on middle earth are you doing down there?" her father exclaimed, as he caught her hiding. Mallyra spun round so quickly, she nearly fell over a pile of books on the floor behind her.

"DAD! SHUSH!" she shrieked, clamping her hand round his mouth. She watched the window again, as pippin’s shadow reappeared and stopped. She held her breath, and her dad pulled her hand from his mouth, frowning at her.

"Who are we hiding from?" he whispered, so not to give it away again. Mallyra sighed with relief, as she watched pippin’s shadow disappear again.

"What have you done now?" her father asked, folding his arms across his chest, a cheeky smile on his lips. Mallyra raised her eyebrows at him, looking shocked by his comment.

"I haven’t done anything!" She insisted, scratching her neck. Her father raised an eyebrow at her, and continued to smile.

"Yeah, and I’m the king of Gondor." he scoffed, sarcasm filling his voice. Before her farther could ask her what was really going on, Mallyra quickly picked up a couple of books, shoved them in her bag, and rushed out the door again.

She cautiously peered round the corner, making sure Pippin was no where to be seen, before venturing out into the street. To not look too suspicious, Mallyra delved in her bag and pulled out a book to read as she walked. The cover was red and had a picture of a dragon crawling up a mountain of gold, with large, silver writing carved into the leather cover. The title itself read, ‘Metallic Drakes, Chromatic and deadly.’ Mallyra looked at it, puzzled. The title didn't really make much sense to her. However, she shrugged it off and opened the book to the middle.

The book took Mallyra's imagination deep into the world of the mighty Drakes that ruled the skies of the North. She read about the kind hearted Metallic Dragons: Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper and Brass. The evil spirited Chromatic dragons: Red, Blue, Green, White and Black. How they each had certain traits, individual body structures and tendencies. Mallyra became ensnared in the books wisdom, so much so, that she didn’t even notice that she’d walked past her front gate. When realised, she put down the book and pushed open the gate, glimpsing down at the pages that whipped around in the wind.

Mallyra walked into her front room and closed the door quietly, not knowing if her mum was sleeping or not. Ra pulled up a chair and sat down at her dining table, eager to get back to her imaginary world of dragons. She flicked to her page again, and began to read.