Chapter 33

*****
An unnaturally cool breeze floated through Hobbiton that evening, as Raigan sat in his front garden. Mallyra and her friends had been gone for so long, and he became increasingly worried for her, as well as her mother, who still lay unconscious in their bed. Raigan had tried everything he could think of to revive her. He'd sought out every doctor in the shire, and was slowly losing hope. He sighed hard, running his fingers through his auburn hair. Raigan went to stand, but hesitated as he noticed two figures walking up the path towards the house. They were humans.

"Don't be alarmed" a feminine voice cried out, hand outstretched in a bid to stop the hobbit from bolting. Raigan stood up slowly, and trudged to the end of the pathway.

"What is your business here?" He said sternly, brows furrowed as he scanned over both the humans before him. The woman was of pale complexion, with short jet black hair, and piercing sapphire eyes. The male had shoulder length brunette hair, which appeared little greasy, and his eyes glinted green in the shards of light which escaped from the windows of the house. Both wore very dull tunics, with black belts strapped around their waist.

"We were sent by your daughter, Mallyra. She wants us to help escort you and your wife to the location of the cure to her ailment." The woman said. Raigan shifted a little. "My name is Eli, and this is Gabe." She continued, gesturing to the man at her side, who simply smiled down at Raigan.

"If you are friends of my daughter then you're welcome in my house," he said hesitantly, going to open the front door, "please come in, and we can discuss the movement of my wife."

The pair followed the hobbit into the house, ducking a little as the entered. "Please, sit," Raigan smiled, as he pulled two chairs up to the dining table. The humans nodded in gratitude and sat as beat they could on the the small chairs.

"Thank you sir." Eli said, her blue eyes peering up at him. Gabe simply nodded again.

"He doesn't say much, does he?" Raigan asked, sitting forward in his chair.

"He had is tongue cut out... by a horrible creature." Eli almost snarled, looking across at Gabe, who grimaced in response.

"Sounds nasty," Raigan swallowed. "So, now that I has established that is will be you doing the talking miss, we shall discuss how you plan on getting us to the location that Mallyra has said the cure is at?"

"Oh that is easy, we have transport." She replied. The hobbit sat up,

"Horse and cart?"

"Sure" She smirked a little. Raigan smiled,

"Then I shall pack our things immediately, if you'll just wait in here, it shouldn't take long." He said, standing up and hurrying into the back room before he'd even finished the sentence. Eli sat back, and her lips curled into a smile across at Gabe.

Not half an hour later, Raigan was all packed. Gabe now carried Mallyra's mother in his arms, and Eli held one of their bags. Raigan stood at the foot of the path for a second, admiring his house, just as Mallyra had done before she set off on her adventure. He then turned on his heels, and followed the two humans into the dark.

The continued up the path and into the edge of the forest, before Raigan began to question why they hadn't gotten to the horse and cart yet.

"Just a little but further, hobbit. We left it in a clearing in the woods as to not risk it being stolen." Eli insisted, huffing loudly as she said it. As they set foot in the clearing, Raigan was met my the sight of a cart, and a small horse, tied to a tree. He breathed a sigh of relief, before stopping to load all of their belongings into the cart. He came to an abrupt halt when he realised a dark shadow had fallen over him, and that Gabe hadn't put his wife into the cart yet.

The hobbit turned slowly, his green eyes widening at the two monsters before him, which greeted his shock with low, throaty growls.