Chapter 12

It was almost dusk when they reached  the cross over at the river called ‘the water’, which ran through most of the West Farthing of the Shire. Mallyra had seen it before, as it ran through Bywater, the home of the Green Dragon inn.

"Do you guys want to stop for something to eat?" Frodo asked, sitting down in the long grass. His question was met by a chorus of agreeing grunts and sighs. Merry slung off his bag and laid down, looking up at the clouds that glided across the swirling orange sky. Mallyra relaxed a little too, leaning back on a log, while Sam started a fire.

"what else do you have in there Sam?" Merry asked inquisitively, looking through his friend's bag. He pulled out a few fire starting tools, a trowel ‘for gardening purposes’ and a small bundle of blankets. Within a few minutes, all five hobbits were sat around a gentle fire, on which, cooked a few of the sausages Pippin had brought. After a few moments of silence, Mallyra piped up.

"Tell me more about yourselves.." Mallyra Pleaded the guys, as she tried to make conversation. After all, she didn’t want to be going on an adventure with people she hardly knew. Frodo was the first to speak. He told her how his parents had died in a boating accident when he was twelve, so he lived with Merry and his Aunt and Uncle in Brandy Hall until his other Uncle, Bilbo adopted him. Sam then explained how he was to become Frodo’s gardener and best friend for the years to follow. Merry told her of his family history, how his father was the master of Buckland and many other things which she didn’t understand, but nodded her head anyway.

"What’s your family like Pippin?" Mallyra finally asked, tilting her head to one side. Pippin thought for a moment, and then turned to her and smiled. "Well, there’s me, my dad Paladin, who is Thain of the shire, you’ve already met him. My mum Eglantine and my three sisters, Pearl, Pimpernel and Pervinca." He breathed. Mallyra looked slightly confused,

"So most of your family’s names begin with P? That’s interesting.. I guess!" She laughed, shortly joined by a small chuckle from Pippin, who then turned to Frodo and asked why they were laughing. "which one of you is the youngest then?" she asked, out of interest. Merry pointed at Pippin, who looked around clueless before catching on,

"I’m actually eight years younger than Merry!" he laughed. Mallyra’s jaw fell open.

"But?! You look... Around the same age!’ she stuttered.

"it’s true, I’m years younger than all of these! But I’m the same age as you, I think, maybe older?" Pippin added. Mallyra nodded at him, still in shock. They really didn’t look like they were years older than Pippin. 

"So what about you Mallyra?" Sam asked, sitting forward and removing the sausages from the fire. Mallyra shrugged a little, before casting a slight glance in Pippin's direction.

"Well, I lived in Michel-Delving for as long as I can remember.. until my dad was removed from his job as Mayor. After that, my mum wanted a change. So, she and my dad decided it would be best for us all if we moved to Hobbiton. Obviously, after what I've done because of it... It wasn't the best idea." She said slowly. Pippin noticed her head fall a little, and quickly shuffled closer to her, and placed on arm round her shoulders.

"It's not your fault Ra, really, you shouldn't blame yourself.." he said quietly, pulling her closer. When he looked up, Pippin saw Merry smirking a little, before raising an eyebrow. Pippin shook his head a little, before glancing at the sky. It had darkened quickly, and night was nearly upon them. The flickers of small stars were just becoming visible through the blanket of cloud that had settled a little. 

Sam gently placed a small plate on Mallyra's knees, on which were two perfectly cooked sausages. "we best get eating, these'll go cold soon!" he smiled kindly.