Chapter 25

***

Pippin's breath was caught in his throat. He, Sam, Frodo and Aiwendil were still clutching to the rock, watching as Elurka scanned the area for the hobbit she was seeking.

"Blasted hobbit got away, along with that filthy Silver soul." Elurka spat, her deep inset eyes burning with rage. Sam swallowed hard, a lump forming in his throat. Elurka shook her head, the movement rippling down her neck. Then,  without warning, she bellowed loudly, her roar shaking the very cores of the hobbits. The blue dragon pushed aside the limp body of the brass dragon with ease, before bounding forward, and using her powerful back legs to launch herself into the air. Her leathery wings beat up a hurricane of dust, as Aiwendil stood out into the open.

"She's returning to her master. If Mallyra, Meriadoc and Lothiri are still alive, they will head to the pass of the lonely mountain." he said quietly, his words making Pippin shudder. IF they're still alive?.. he thought to himself over and over. What if he'd lost her? Mallyra. What would he do? Sam saw the beginning of tears starting to form in Pippin's eyes, and patted his shoulder reassuringly.

"She'll be alright, lad. Ra's strong and so are Merry and Lothiri." He smiled, then turning and walking up to the huge reptilian body in front of them. Khandriu lay lifeless. His once gleaming, brassy scales now looked rusted, and cold. His wings were curled behind him, one stuck out at an awkward, almost impossible angle. The dragon's chest was drenched in thick, dark blood, which now ran into a trickling pool at their feet.

"He was so brave.." Frodo whispered, his heart almost twisting in sorrow. "taking on  a dragon twice his size to save us.." Aiwendil dipped his head, and for the first time, the hobbits watched as tears rolled down the elf's face. The golden haired elf then walked over to the dragon's head, where his huge, rich red coloured eyes remained open and soulless. Aiwendil looked into the dragon's eyes, before leaning forward and placing his hand on Khandriu's forehead.

"Aal hin sil bo mahfaeraak ko lok." he whispered, before closing the dragon's eyes. The elf then spent an hour finding large enough stones to pile over Khandriu's body. When his handy work was complete, Aiwendil said a small prayer, non of which any of the hobbits understood, but they still paid their respects. The elf stood silently next to the piled stones, his head bowed. Pippin shuddered, a gut wrenching sensation filling his stomach. Aiwendil then turned and glared in the hobbit's direction, his eyes were lifeless,

"This dragon was so young. He should not have died for your kind." he spat. Pippin went to protest, before Frodo stepped in, 

"He died to save a great cause, Aiwendil. You of all people must understand that. You cannot blame us for his death." He spoke softly. The elf turned sharply, before glancing back over his shoulder at Frodo. Frodo's deep blue eyes clashed into Aiwendil's amber ones. "By giving his life, Khandriu has saved many." he added. Aiwendil nodded slowly, before turning back toward them. His voice was softer, and not as deep as usual.

"You're right, Frodo Baggins. He gave his life to save us all.. and maybe even the entire of Middle Earth. His memory must live on, he cannot be forgotten." he breathed, his lips forming into an attempt at a sympathetic smile. Frodo nodded at him, showing that he appreciated his acceptance. A moment of silence passed, which was shattered by an eagle crying out overhead. Pippin shifted the weight of his bag, and then began to walk forward. 

"Where are you going, Peregrin? Aiwendil asked curiously. Pippin turned on his heels and looked up at the elf, a slight frown on his brow.

"You said that Ra, Merry and Lothiri would head for the pass of the lonely mountain, so that's where we're going to meet them." He said stubbornly. The elf smiled widely, 

"I admire your determination, Peregrin. But-" he started, but Pippin cut him off, 

"But what?" He said sarcastically, not finding their situation amusing at all. Aiwendil reached round to his bag, removed a map and placed it in Pippin's hand.

"You're walking the wrong way," He replied, a witty tone sneaking into his powerful voice. Aiwendil's response was followed by light chuckles from Frodo and Sam, and Pippin frowned hard,

"I knew that.." he said quietly, ignoring the burning sensation in his cheeks. Frodo lifted a skeptical eyebrow, before continuing to chuckle to himself. Aiwendil shook his head slowly, a grin still lingering on his lips as he watched his companions begin to walk North East. He breathed in deeply, before casting his thoughts back to his other companions.

"I know that you will pass this test, Lothiri. No matter what your ancients throw at you, you will succeed in bringing the hobbit to the Iron hills alive." He breathed quietly, his mind straining as it reached out for his friend. Her mind was almost cut off from him, but he could still feel her presence. She was alive. He sighed, a weight lifting off his shoulders, as he looked out over the horizon. The mountain range that they stood on provided a wide view. Further to the east, Aiwendil's eyes saw the darkening forest of Mirkwood, the leaves shimmering in the midday sun. Directly ahead, Aiwendil saw the blue silhouette of the lonely mountain, and beyond that, the dark outline of the Iron hills.

(Sorry this is a short chapter guys! Hope you're all enjoying reading this story, because I sure love reading all your comments! Exx)