Chapter 18

Mallyra heard a thud, followed by a deafening shriek of pain from in front of her. At first she was hesitant to open her eyes, but when she finally brought herself to do it, she was shocked at the sight that met her eyes. 

Blood pooled on the floor, with acid causing green to swirl through the red stain. The thud had been caused by Glasin's severed tongue hitting the floor, which now lay lifeless in the oozing liquid. The clean cut of Aiwendil's sword was hard to ignore. There was a low grumble which echoed from the back of Glasin's throat, but this time it was not from pain. The hobbit slowly looked upwards to see something which she could never have imagined even in her darkest of thoughts. 

Glasin's orange eyes were writhing with anger and immense suffering, and rivers of thick red blood poured from between his jaws and dribbled down his neck. One drop of blood fell from his lips and landed on Mallyra's arm, causing her to shudder. Now unable to speak, the dragon stood in shock, staring down at the party of hobbits and elves at his feet. Glasin watched as Lotiri began to raise her bow, and Aiwendil remove his dagger from it's sheath. Knowing he was up against a stronger force than he'd first thought, Glasin simply bellowed as loud as he possibly could, reducing Mallyra to fall to her knees and cover her ears with her hands. Looking down at the floor, she jumped in terror as she felt arms wrap around her. Jolting her head to the side, Mallyra saw nothing but a blur through the tears in her eyes, but after a moment realised it was Pippin who had come to her aid. He was trying to pull her to her feet and run to the safety of the stairs. Reluctantly, she allowed Pippin to drag her by the waist to what little comfort of shelter the doorway provided. 

By this time, Glasin had proceeded to charge through the outer walls of the city, while dragging his talons across the mud. The party watched in relief as the dragon gained momentum, before bounding up into the darkening sky, and becoming little more than a recurring nightmare in their minds. With one singular sigh, Mallyra collapsed, everything going silent as darkness ingested her.

************

Pippin felt Mallyra fall lifeless in his arms, and immediately paniced.

"Help me!" he cried, her weight dragging him down a little. Lothiri was immediately by his side, her hand on the hobbits forehead, and her eyes scanning across her body.

"She is fine, Peregrin. She's probably just fainted with exhaustion or fear. She needs a warm bed, and a little company," Lothiri sighed, placing her hand on the hobbit's shoulder. Pippin tried to smile, but he couldn't stop worrying. Lothiri swept her gaze around the village. Nothing short of the aftermath of natural disaster met her sight. Aiwendil cast a glace across at his companion, before touching her shoulder and bowing his head. Lothiri smiled back, and then watched as Aiwendil picked up Mallyra in his arms carefully, and carried her back into the home of the Lord Aethibryn, who was now doing his best to calm his people.

The she elf, Sam and Frodo stayed to over see the Lord, as many of village's defences had been torn down in the calamity.  The walls had been smashed, and now lay in pieces on the torn up ground. Houses were clinging onto their foundations, and the faint sound of crackling fire could be heard in the distance. After clearing away debris and helping a child find it's mother, Sam turned his attention to the elf. Lothiri herself had been on edge since the incident with the dragon, but Sam had a question that needed to be answered. He found the silver haired elf alone, simply picking up the remains of a child's cot, which had fallen over as Glasin had smashed through the walls.

"Lothiri.." Sam said quietly, trying not to startle the elf anymore than needs be. Lothiri simply turned around slowly, and smiled at him. It took Sam a moment to continue talking, as in that moment, he truly noticed how beautiful the elf was. But it was a painful beauty which he saw. Her shimmering green eyes now hid a pain which he hadn't seen before. Her small smiled seemed as if it was holding back a thousand words which could not be said. Her silver hair was draped loosely over her shoulders, gleaming like a precious metal in the dimmed light.