Chapter 10

Mallyra sat on the edge of her bed, looking down at the bottom of her dress. It was scuffed, ripped, and covered in dirt.

"Nothing’s really going right today," she sighed to herself as she stood up. Slowly, Mallyra walked over to her mirror, the light from the hallway reflected of it into her eyes. Her brown hair was falling out of the plait it was in, and her eyes were still red and puffy from the tears she'd cried. Mallyra exhaled loudly before pulling her hair out of the plait, and then reached round to undo the laced up back of her dress, but she couldn’t reach. Mallyra tried again, but she could only just reach the ribbon.

At that moment, Pippin peered his head round the door. Mallyra nearly jumped 3ft in the air, and ended up pulling at the ribbon, causing the shoulders of her dress to fall forward.

"OH GOSH!" Pippin said, as he hid behind the wall quickly, "I’m sorry Ra, I didn’t know you were getting changed," He felt his cheeks burn as he began to blush. Mallyra looked round to her doorway, holding her dress up as she turned a bright shade of red.

"Ah it’s okay.. just stay there, I’ll be done in a minute." She laughed, glancing up every so often. Mallyra quickly slipped out of the dress, and into an old pair of trousers, a white shirt and attempted to put on her black waistcoat.

"Pippin?" she asked, looking over her shoulder, and wondering whether he was still there. Mallyra watched as Pippin's mop of brown curls popped out from behind the door,

"yeah?" he asked, blowing a curled hair out of his face, which was still slightly flustered. 

"if you don’t mind... could you fasten this up?" Mallyra smiled across at him. Pippin blushed again, before walking up to her. He brushed her hair onto her shoulders so he could see what he was doing, before beginning to gently lace up the back of Mallyra's waistcoat. When he got half way through, he remembered why he’d actually come in.

"I know what you’re going to do, and I don’t want you to do it." he said quietly, looking at her through her mirror. Mallyra sighed and looked back at him,

"It’s my only option... I have to find somebody to help her. After all, it’s my fault," Pippin tied a bow at the top of Mallyra’s corset, and then put his hand on her shoulder, turning her to face him.

"Listen, it isn’t your fault! Nobody could have known... you couldn’t have known." He smiled down at her, wiping a tear from her eye. "Look... If it’s what you want, you’ve got me to help you sort this out," Mallyra blushed up at him, and went to speak, but she was interrupted by talking. Suddenly, there was a thudding noise in the hall way, which made them jump out of their skin.

"And us too Ra!" Merry said as he fell into the room, Frodo and Sam stumbling after him. Mallyra giggled behind her hand, and Pippin laughed at them,

"how long have you been stood out there?" he grinned at them as Mallyra walked up to Merry. He smiled at her warmly, his blue eyes sparkling. She hadn’t spoken to him that much before, but he seemed as nice as any other hobbit.

"Not that long, we just over heard that last sentence, follow me! I’ve got something to show you lot!" said Merry, gesturing with his hand, before he walked through to Mallyra’s dining room, followed by the others. He spread a large map on the table and quickly marked on a few circles. "This is where we can stop, here’s where we are, ooo! And that’s where we’re going!" he mumbled to himself, as the rest of them stared at the different red squiggles all across the map.

"I didn’t know you knew this sort of stuff merry?’ Mallyra whispered, as she looked over his shoulder. she then pointed down at a large cross near the right corner,