Prologue

It was the end of a summer afternoon around L.A. The day had been rather hot. The house was quiet. The bay window was opened to let in the gentle breeze freshened by the pool water.

Avi was settled on the couch in the living room, his laptop on his lap, scrolling down a folder of photos. He was so focused that he didn't hear Mitch coming in.

Smiling softly, Mitch walked to him from behing and slowly leaned down, sliding his hands from his shoulders to his chest while brushing his cheek against Avi's. Slightly startled at first, Avi soon smiled and pressed his cheek against Mitch's in return.

- Hey my angel! You've been so silent! You surprised me!

Mitch chukkled.

- What are you doing, love?

- David is almost twenty, I'm updating his photo album. I want it ready to be edited for his birthday.

Mitch walked around the couch to sit down next to Avi.

- Twenty! I can't believe it...

- Me neither, Mitchie, smiled Avi fondly. Twenty wonderful years. No, twenty five actually!

- After the four toughest years of my entire life, smiled back Mitch, but that made them so worth it.

- Really? teased Avi. No regret?

- Check if you can taste any, answered Mitch playfully, pointing him his lips.

Avi had slid the laptop beside him and he cupped Mitch's face tenderly between his hands, pressing his lips on Mitch's. Slightly pulling away, he breathed against them:

- I can taste softness, and giggles, and warmth, and all the happiness you bring to me...

- You bring me the same, Avriel, answered Mitch, hiseyes trained on his.

After a last kiss, Avi pulled away with an amused smile.

- I won't be able to finish this before dinner if you keep distracting me like this!

- I'm not sorry, answered Mitch, trying not to laugh.

Avi giggled and brought back his laptop on his lap.

- But... You were looking at Keira's album, not David's!

- There was a photo of her wrongly stored in his album, answered Avi guiltily, I had to fix it... But look at her, he added with a dreamy smile. She was so cute in that dress!

- You've always found her beautiful dresses, teased Mitch. You've always been into girls, haven't you?

- Mitch!

Mitch burst out laughing while Avi gazed at him, pretending to be dismayed.

- You're so cute when you pretend to be mad at me!

And Mitch leaned forward to peck Avi's lips playfully.

Then, from the corner of his eye, he spotted a tall silhouette in the doorway. He turned his face to their elder son.

- You're staring, young man!

David giggled.

- I like to surprise you like this. I makes me feel...happy!

Avi and Mitch both smiled at him. David walked to them and sat down in the couch on the other side of the coffee table.

- May I ask you something?

- Sure, answered Mitch.

As David seemed to hesitate, he encouraged him, smiling:

- Don't be shy!

- Daddy, I just heard this when I arrived... what didyou mean when you said Dad was into girls?

Mitch and Avi shared a glance.

- I'm sorry, I didn't want to...

- No, it's okay David, Avi gently cut him off. Maybe it's time to share our story with you... But I think we could tell it to the three of you, actually. So I'm gonna ask you to take your dear Daddy away from me (he winked at Mitch) so that I can finish what I was doing, and we'll tell you after dinner. Deal?

David nodded happily and stood up same time as Mitch; they both went away, arm in arm, laughing together.

Avi shrugged, an amused smile tugging at his lips, and he went back at his task.

*****

A few hours later, after dinner, the family gathered in the living room. Avi and Mitch side by side on the smallest couch,their three kids in front of them on the largest one.

David was on the left, facing Avi. He was a tall handsome young man, with brown hair and surprising grey eyes. His chin was clean-shaven. His face was open, his gaze genuine. He was rather strongly built, but yet slender and elegant. He had beautiful hands with long fingers, perfectly matching with his ability on a piano. He seemed to have so much in common with Avi!

Next to him was Keira, an adorable seventeen years old young lady, with long blond hair, soft blue eyes enlightening her heart-shaped face, a graceful poise, a playful mind and a beautiful voice. Anyone getting to know her couldn't help but relate her to Mitch.

Finally, sitting on the right accross Mitch was Brandon, a fifteen years old teenager. He was more than thin, his dark red curls were half hiding his green eyes, some pale freckles were sprinkled on his face. He seemed so shy and generally uncomfortable. For now, he had mostly shown a strong attraction for sciences, but it wasn't easy to know if he had other interests. Keira was holding his hand on her lap.

Avi grabbed Mitch's hand and smiled to their kids.

- David asked us something earlier, and it made us think it could be the opportunity to tell you our story, if you want to know it. I mean, mostly how we met and came together.

- Oh great! exclaimed Kiera.Yes, I would love to know! We know you met thanks to your band, but you never told us more...

David was of course very attentive. Brandon smiled slightly. It wasn't easy to guess if it was at his sister's enthusiasm or at the idea of knowing more about their dads' early story. Anyway, he seemed ready too.

- So... time for an evening story-telling, as when you were children! began Avi with a fond smile. Mitch once called the way we met a fairy tale, and he might be right. That's why I'll begin with these words: Once upon a time, two young men around twenty years old met thanks to their love for music...