17. Coming to terms

- I need to breathe outside! sighed Mitch.

- Believe me, I do too, smiled Avi.

They walked slowly to a swing settled under an old oak tree, a few feet away from the house. They sat down, Avi's arm not leaving Mitch's shoulders. Mitch rested his head in the hollow of Avi's shoulder, and reached his hand for Avi to take it on his lap.

- He scared me. Oh my God he scared me so much!

His voice was shaky, as if he was about to cry.

- Mitchie, angel, he's safe now! But we must stay strong for him.

Mitch took a deep breath to control his emotions.

- You've been strong today. I had told you this summer that he would need you before the end of this. For him, you are Elijah's point of view. And you found the words.

- I've tried to figure out what he was feeling... But you found the right words too, smiled Avi fondly. We're still a good team! he ended in a happy chuckle.

Mitch raised his face to meet Avi's gaze. He's eyes were full of love.

- Yes we are. We have always been. I love you Avriel.

Avi answered by a lingering kiss.

When they pulled away, Avi spoke thoughtfully:

- The next step will be Brandon talking to Elijah. And I think the sooner will be the better. He musn't have enough time to overthink. Not for now, not alone in his head. I think I'm going to call Elijah.

- You're not going to tell him yourself?!

- Of course not! I just want to make sure he can talk to Brandon.

****

- Hi Elijah, it's Avi.

- Hi Mr Kaplan...

- First I wanted to reassure you, Brandon isn't so bad. He'll be okay tomorrow.

- Thank you so much for calling yourself! Keira texted me but... she didn't explain?

Avi smiled at the questioning tone.

- It's not for me to tell you, but I want to make sure you'll see him tomorrow. He really needs to talk to you, but it's not easy for him. So if he doesn't answer you on his phone, call on the landline, and we'll make sure you can talk to him.

- I don't understand... Why is it so hard for him? Did I do something wrong?

- Not at all, don't worry! He just needs you, and actually we need your help in a way. Listen kid, we all know he's been weird this summer. He talked to us a little, but you are his best friend, never doubt it. Don't let him escape this time, it's important.

- I'll be here for him.

- I know, young man. And thank you for that. You can try to call him just before dinner, he's sleeping right now. See you soon Elijah.

****

Brandon answered on his phone at the end of the afternoon. Elijah told him how much he was relieved to know he was feeling better. Brandon told him he'd just had a stomach ache. After a small talk, Elijah hung up. And called back next morning, to tell him he would come and pick him at the beginning of the afternoon, to go to their place, as planned in the school bus. He didn't ask, he just stated.