19. Best Friends

Oh my God I can't screw it up! What must I tell him? Or not? I can't even ask for help...May I touch him or will it be worse?

Elijah's thoughts were whirling like crazy. He closed his eyes, focused on what he was really feeling for Brandon, took a deep breath. When he finally opened his eyes and spoke, his voice was assured.

- Bran. You are my best friend, you've always been and always will. I love you a lot, like a brother, and I'm sure you feel the same. You are someone special to me, for sure. I see you feel confused, but it doesn't scare me. We'll go through this together, as usaual, okay? Come here.

He reached out his arms, and Brandon, who had opened his eyes at the middle of his words, fell in his embrace. He was about to burst out crying, but as soon as Elijah closed his arms around him, he felt a wave of peace spreading in his mind and body. He sighed heavily.

- I'm sorry, he muttered.

- Don't be. You know... don't take it wrong but... I'm kinda your only friend, the only one you're comfortable with, so I guess that's why...

- Dad told me the same, whispered Brandon.

- You told him?!

- They guessed by themselves what was going on my mind.They told me I should talk to you.

- You're lucky to have them, you know?

- Yes, I know. And to have you too, added Brandon with a shy smile.

Brandon's head was resting against his friend's chest, just under his chin. Elijah couldn't see his smile, but he could see his cheekbones protrude a little, and he chuckled gently.

- My dearest fool buddy! What a storm in that little heart. Well no, your heart is all but little, he smiled. You know what? I showed you the girls I found cute, but from now, I won't unless you show me the guys you notice. Deal?

- Lij!

- Don't Lij me! I'm not the only hot guy in the place, and I promise I won't be jealous, he winked playfully. Well, when you'll find someone, he better seem nice to me though! I won't let anyone hurt you!

Brandon giggled suddenly, and Elijah joined him, feeling relieved. Maybe he wasn't such a bad best friend, after all.

- I think I'm gonna go back home now. Is it okay for you? I could come back tomorrow morning, and we would go hang out in town? What do you think?

Brandon nodded quietly, then he pulled away and gazed at his friend, still a little shy.

- Thank you Lij, he said softly. I'm so happy that you're still my best friend. I was completely lost, but now I feel... relieved.

Elijah flashed him a warm smile and got up. He reached him a hand to help him get up as well, and they headed to the house arm in arm. Elijah got in with Brandon to say his goodbye to Avi and Mitch, and Brandon asked them if he could go in town with him next day. Mitch was so surprised to see their change of behaviour that he couldn't answer. Avi smiled fondly at the two friends.

- Of course Bran! I'll give you some money for your lunch. For both of you, he added, turning to Elijah. No! Don't say a word. It's my pleasure, as if we invited you, okay?

- Well... thank you then! smiled Elijah. See you tomorrow!

And after a last hug with his friend, he climbed on his bike and went away.

*****

- So you talked together? asked Mitch softly.

Brandon nodded, a small smile tugging at his lips.

- He's the best friend one could dream of...

Suddenly, he fell in Mitch's arms, whispering against the fabric of his sirt:

- And you are the best parents ever!

Mitch tightened his grip around his son's frail frame, tears of relief threatening to escape at the corner of his eyes. Avi stepped towards them behind Brandon and wrapped his arms around them both.

- I'm so sorry I've scared you, muttered the young boy, eyes closed.

- It's okay, Bran. Feelings can be a huge challenge to deal with, sometimes! Believe me, we both know that!

- I'm happy you dealt with yours, smiled Brandon.

After a peaceful moment of silence, they pulled away from their embrace. Avi squeezed his son's shoulders with his hands before letting him go and heading to the kitchen. Mitch kissed his forehead and smiled at him.

- I'll always be here to listen, Bran. Never forget that.

- Thank you Daddy, replied Brandon. Elijah told me I was lucky to have you, and it's true.

After a last tight hug, he headed to his bedroom. Mitch watched him going, feeling deeply relieved. Then he joined Avi in the kitchen and wrapped his arms around his waist from behind. He rested his head on one of his shoulders, burying his face in Avi's neck, and let escape a deep sigh.

Avi kept washing the vegetables he was preparing for dinner. He didn't say a word, he simply began to hum a song, smiling. When he was done with his washing and grabbed a handtowel to dry hishands, Mitch muttered "I love you." Avi turned around in his arms, wrapped his around Mitch's shoulders and kissed him softly.Then he pressed his forehead against Mitch's.

- He'll be fine. He's very sensitive, but he has a wonderful friend, and he trusts us. He'll be fine.

- I hope so, whispered Mitch. But I know I'll be worried for a while. He's so easily upset! He's always been.

- Don't freak him out, angel. He needs us to trust him too.

- You'll tell me this again, smiled Mitch, pulling away.

- I will, you can be sure, chuckled Avi. Let's get that meal ready now, I'm hungry!

- All is back to normal then! giggled Mitch.

Avi tried to pout and failed, ending in a heartedly laugh.

- Good news? asked David from the door frame.

- Yes, smiled Avi widely. Your brother seems out of the woods. He and Elijah are back to normal.

- Great! I'm really happy! You're gonna have a goodnight rest now Daddy, aren't you?

- Do I look so awful? answered Mitch, pretending to be vexed.

- You look exhausted, stated David quietly.

- I guess I am, whispered Mitch. But I feel good now.

- Call your sibblings, will you? asked Avi, smiling. Dinner is ready.