3. After the Sing-Off

After a brief moment of silence, Avi closed his eyes, as if he was gathering his thoughts. He opened them back, looked at the three teenagers one by one, and went on.

Avi's Pov

Sonos had left the competition, but Jessica was still around. She didn't want to leave me. But she seemed to have a hard time in a few occasions, because of some of our performances.

This was after the "Brittney Spears Medley."

- Kirstie was really glowing tonight.

- Yes she was! She's been amazing! I'm so happy she finally had the opportunity to shine in front of everyone!

- You didn't miss a bit...

- What do you mean? Don't tell me you're jealous!

- Have you even realised how you are around her recently?

- Jessica! She's in my band! We have to be close, to be able to achieve all this work and keep a chance to win!

- You don't complain though...

- Quit it please. This is ridiculous."

But... was it? I must admit I found my bandmate really attractive...

The competition went on, it was more and more demanding and we were getting really drained. But it was also so exciting!

"Stuck Like Glue" was sweet, but for me I couldn't take my eyes off Kirstie, and Jessica was going mad. "Let's Get It On" had been a kind of relief, as surprising as it seems. None of us felt any hidden tension because of it, and we gained for sure Shawn's love.

The two next songs were another story. The mash-up involved Kirstie and I in an openly flirting game, and I've been even more confused, while Jessica was even more mad at me. And "DogDays"... Let's say we all ended in tears, me more than the others!

After all these emotional roller coasters, we won the competition. It's been a hudge moment. Only the Grammys have been able to surpass this moment. And even... This victory was the key to our future, if we were able to keep our grip on it. And we did.

*****

Again, Mitch and Avi were still holding hands, but they didn't seem to be able to look at each other. When Avi paused, Mitch spoke in turn quite simply.

*****

Mitch's Pov

After "Love Lockdown," all the following songs seemed smooth in comparison. I focused on our common goal: winning the Sing Off.

Of course, seeing Avi torn apart between Jessica and his obvious unspoken feelings for Kirstie was rather painful for me. But I had already understood how much my own feelings were silly and vain. I held them back.

When we won the competition, I was a mess though. It was a dream come true for me as much as for the others of course. But it was also the certainty that our Group would have a future. That Avi would remain in my future. I had already decided that it was enough for me, or at least that I would have to be happy with it. But it was like a bitter sweet torture...