Chapter 13

It was Archer

              It was Archer.

                       I stood up from the table, confused. "Archer?" I question, seeing the puzzled expressions on my relatives faces. I run my hands through my hair, sarcastically laughing glancing around. "What are you doing here?"

       He had a pan of food in his arms with a soft smile. My cousin, Taylor, who'd answered the door leaned against the door frame seductively.  "You know this hunk? Is he like your boyfriend?" she replies, twirling her brown hair between her fingers.

       "Archer and Celeste sitting in the tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g first comes love then comes marriage-" The smaller kids at the table shouts, earning chuckles from the elderly and adults at the table.

       Archer looks devilishly handsome with his red beanie over his head with specks of brown hair on display poking out of the beanie. He was wearing a sweater with a specific university on it, a brown belt, and some dark, somewhat baggy jeans cuffed, over his newly bought brown boots.

    "Wait, Archer Rossi-" Earl replies, shooting upwards, anger spread across his face — in that very moment I thought Archer was going to die — he crossed his arms. "He is the little punk that decided to call me a slob two years ago." He cracks his knuckles.

      Here's the thing about Earl, he holds grudges. If he was in the Guinness world record book it would be for his grudges. The title would be 'the man who holds the longest grudge' he'll never let Archer live down that crucial moment for him. 

      Taylor widens her blue eyes and bats them flirtatiously. "Archer? You remained friends with this jerk after he insulted your family?" She rolls her eyes before making her way back to her seat.

         "Please! Archer, what are you doing here?" My mother mentions, wiping the corners of her mouth.

        "I-I just thought I'd drop this off," his eyes met mine and he then gazed at the food he had brought but then back at my mom. "My mother made it for you guys."

       "Earl, sit down!" My dad said sauntering over towards Archer. "That was such a nice gesture from your mother, please come in. Take the empty seat next to Taylor."

     "No thanks, sir. I don't want to be a burden." He glances around, seeing the scowl on my family's face except — my parents and I — but my fathers arms shot out.

        "You're never a burden, come have a seat!" he set the food in the middle of the long, brown table and smiles before pointing to the empty seat next to Taylor.

        "Is he your boyfriend or something?" Trevor, my older cousin, leans over whispering into my ear. Trevor Sawyer, he was one of my favorite cousins because he always had good advice and I could call him whenever I needed him. I didn't know what to call him, but I did know I didn't want him to re-meet my family. What if he thought deep down somewhere I was like this dysfunctional family? I shake my head no, before glancing over at Archer.