Chapter 27

"Celeste, what're you talking about?" Archer conveyed, his eyes fixated on me

"Celeste, what're you talking about?" Archer conveyed, his eyes fixated on me. I could feel the sweat dribbled down my face, staining my hair.

After that question, we sat there in silence. But it was no longer comfortable silence. It felt wrong as if I shouldn't have said anything. I could already fill the tears forming in my eyes I knew in order for me to get this story out I would have to fight them.

"It is my fault your dad is in prison. I could have avoided all of this but I wanted to keep my mouth shut for the sake of our families. I want to be strong. I really do. But I can't help bursting in tears sometimes thinking about it because I just don't know how things will get better." I blurted, setting the food on the back seat.

"It isn't your fault Celeste. How could this possibly be your fault?" Archer wondered, his eyebrows furrowed.

I blew out a sigh, "The night we all went to Everett's beach house I was getting up to go to the bathroom. And then I heard sniffling- I was for sure all of you were sleep. But, when I turned the corner it was Brooke." I said hearing his annoying groan.

"What does this have to do with my father?" Archer bewildered, grabbing the food and opening the bag, stuffing a french fry in his mouth.

The smell of fast food filled my nostrils causing a grumble to be released from my stomach. "She was crying. And she told me that her family was having problems. That her father had gambled all of their money away and that they were in debt. She was having financial problems. And on Thanksgiving when you took me to the soup kitchen she was there. She had dropped her food when she saw me." I added.

"Why didn't she tell me?" Archer questioned, rolling his eyes but then turning towards me.

"And then the night of winter formal Blake texted me this long paragraph. She mentioned how she loved hanging out with us and that after she told me the truth we would all hate her. She said that, that-" I stuttered the tears were now filling my orbs. I didn't know how he'd react. He knew this situation was serious because he entwined our hands and glanced at me letting me vent.

"That Brooke slept with your dad. An-"

His hand yanked from mine, "What do you mean she texted you this? And you didn't tell me."

"Archer please let me finish the story," I begged wiping the perfectly round tear that raced down my cheek. He clenched his jaw and nodded staring ahead. "You can't even look at me." I could feel my heart sinking. I had already lost him.

"Finish the story." He snapped, gazing over at me.

"I went up to confront Blake about the text but she kept scurrying off and ignoring me. And I couldn't face you knowing what I knew. So then you told me our families were going up north together and that made everything ten times more difficult. Then I asked you to drop me off at the coffee shop and I met Blake inside."