Chapter 5

Samantha's POV

When we got back they took a lot of blood from Steve because he's the only one with the serum in his DNA. "Think you got enough?" Steve asked sarcastically. "Any hope of reproducing the program is locked in your genetic code." Peggy said to Steve. "But without Dr. Erskine it would take years." I finished her sentence. "He deserved more than this." Steve stated. "We know that Steve." I said to him. "If it could work only once he's be proud it was you" Peggy said.

"Colonel Phillips, my committee is demanding answers." Senator Brandt said. "Great why don't we start with how a German spy got got a ride to my secret installation in your car? What have we got here?" Colonel Philips asked. "Speaking modestly, I'm the best mechanical engineer in the country. But I don't know what's inside this thing or how it works. We're not even close do this technology." Mr. Stark said. "Then who is?" The senator asked. "Hydra. I'm sure you've been reading our briefings." Colonel Philips said. "I'm on a number of committees, Colonel." The senator answered. "Hydra is the Nazi deep-science division." I said with Peggy next to me and Steve behind us. "It's led by Johann Schmidt. But he has much bigger ambitions." Peggy finished for me. "Hydra is practically a cult. They worship Schmidt. They think he's invincible" Colonel Philips said. "So what are you going to do about it?" Senator Brandt asked. "I spoke to the President this morning. As of today, the SSR is being retasked." The colonel said. "Colonel?" Peggy said. "We are taking the fight to Hydra. Pack your bags, agent Carter. You too, agent Grace and Mr. Stark. We're flying to London tonight." The colonel said. "Sir? If you're going after Schmidt, I want in." Steve said. "You're an experiment. You're going to Alamogordo." Colonel Philips said. "The serum worked." Steve argued. "I asked for an army and all I got was you. You are not enough." The colonel said.

"With all due respect to the colonel, I think we may be missing the point. I've seen you in action, Steve. More importantly, the country's seen it. Paper. The enlistment lines have been around the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that, and hide him in a lab. Son, do you want to serve your country on the most important battlefield of the war?" The senator asked Steve. "Sir, that's all I want." Steve answered. "Then congratulations. You just got promoted." Senator Brandt said.

Steve had to give a speech to a unit but it didn't work out so well. "How many of you are ready to help me sick old Adolf on the jaw?" Steve asked. No one reacted. "Okay. Ueh, I need a volunteer." Steve said. "I already volunteered! How do you think I got here?" Someone yelled. "Bring back the girls!" Someone else yelled. "I think they only know the one song, but I'll see what I can do." Steve said. "You do that, sweetheart." Someone yelled. "Nice boots, Tinker Bell!" Someone yelled. "Come on, guys, we're all on the same team here." Steve tried to reason. "Hey, Captain! Sign this!" Someone yelled and took his pants down. Boys are so immature. And then they began to throw tomatos at him. It's a good thing he has that shield. And the Steve walked off stage. "Bring back the girls!" someone yelled again. And the girls walked on the stage and they applauded for them.

Peggy and I walked over to Steve after he got off stage. "Hello, Steve." Peggy said. "Hi." Steve said a little surprised. "Hi." I said back. "What are you two doing here?" Steve asked. "Officially we are not here at all." I said. "That was quite a performance." Peggy said. "Yeah. I had to improvise a little bit. The crowds I'm used to are usually more twelve." Steve replied. "I understand you're "America's New Hope"." Peggy said. "Bond sales take a 10% bump in every state I visit." Steve said. "Is that Senator Brandt I hear?" I said to Steve. "At least he's got me doing this. Phillips would have had me stuck in a lab." Steve said. "Are these your only two options?" I asked. "A lab rat or a dancing monkey?" Peggy said while looking at Steve's drawing. "You were meant for more than this, you know." Peggy said. Steve was silent for a while "What?" I asked. "You know, for the longest time I dreamed about coming overseas and being on the front lines, serving my country. I finally got everything I wanted and I'm wearing tights." Steve said. Then a medical van came in. "They look like they've been through hell." Steve said bluntly. "These men more than most." Peggy said. Steve looked a little confused. "Schmidt sent out a force to Azzano. Two hundred men went up against him, and less than 50 returned." I explained. "Your audience contained what was left of the 107th." Peggy said. "The rest was killed or captured." I finished off. "The 107th?" Steve said with slight panic. "What?" I asked. "Come!" Steve yelled to us while running somewhere.

We walked into the tent of colonel Phillips. "Colonel Phillips." Steve said in a serious voice. "Well if it isn't the Star-Spangled Man With A Plan. What's your plan today?" Colonel Phillips said. "I need the casualty list from Azzano." Steve said bluntly. "You don't get to give me orders, son." He said. "I just need one name, Sergeant James Barnes from the 107th." Steve said. "You two and I are gonna have a conversation later that you won't enjoy." Colonel Phillips said pointing to me and Peggy. "Please tell me if he's alive, sir. B-A-R..." Steve started to say but the colonel interupped. "I can spell." He sounded a little annoyed. "I have signed more of these condolence letters today than I would care to count. But the name does sound familiar. I'm sorry." The Colonel said answering Steve's question. I rubbed my hand across his back to comfort him. He looked at me and gave a little, sad smile. "What about the others? Are you planning a rescue mission?" Steve continued. "Yes, it's called "winning the war"." Colonel Phillips said with a hint of annoyance. "But if you know where they are, why not at least-" Steve began but the colonel cut him off. "They're 30 miles behind the lines through some of the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We'd lose more men than we'd safe. But I don't expect you to understand that because you're a chorus girl." "I think I understand just fine." Steve said and I knew he was up to something. "Well then understand it somewhere else. If I read the posters correctly you got someplace to be in 30 minutes." The colonel said with a voice of finality. "Yes, sir. I do." Steve said while looking at the map. "If you have something to say, right now is the perfect time to keep it to yourself." Colonel Phillips said to me and Peggy. Peggy and I ran after Steve.

"What do you plan to do, walk to Austria?" I asked him with in my voice a hint of sarcasm. "If that's what it takes." Steve said fully serious. "You heard the colonel. Your friend is most likely dead." Peggy said and I knew that wasn't really the right thing to say. "You don't know that." With a voice full of determination. "Even so-" Peggy started again but I stopped her. "Peggy I know that you don't want Steve to go but you can't stop him." She looked at me in disbelief. Steve walked to a car and put some stuff in it. "Steve!" Peggy yelled after him. "You told me you thought I was meant for more than this. Did you mean that?" Steve asked Peggy and at that moment I got called away.

Apparently there was some guy who wanted to talk to me. The last thing I heard from the conversation was. "Every word" Peggy said. "Then you got to let me go." Steve said. "I can do more than that." Peggy said. What is she going to do? Well I can't stop them. So I just went to the guy. He smirked at me and I gave a fake innocent smile. "Hello pretty lady." He said smoothly. "What is it soldier?" I said in my army voice. "I just wanted to meet the most beautiful women on this base." He said. This is going to be fun. I fake blushed and he took my right hand in his and kissed it. The moment his lips met my hand I turned up the heat to 80 degrees. He quickly took away his lips and hand. "Don't try to hit on me again, soldier. Understood?" I said in my army voice again. He mumbled something. "I said understood!" I said raising my voice. "Yes ma'am." He said and saluted me. "Excellent." I said before flying off. I looked back down and saw him staring in disbelief.
How I love it to be a goddess!