Chapter 46

Lauren's POV

I stepped outside my new building and walked down the street to the small corner shop I'd always buy my cigarettes at. It was a bit strange walking in here since I haven't come in such a long time.

"Lauren?" Paul said, he owned the shop.

"Paul!" I walked up to the counter and he grabbed my hand.

"I haven't seen you in such a long time; I heard you were in New York." He said letting go off my hand and grabbing a pack of cigarettes. I smiled and shook my head.

"Not anymore, I'm back now." I handed him some money but he shook his head and pushed my hand away.

"No, they're on me. It's nice to have you back Lauren." He said and I hesitantly grabbed the box, I put the money on the counter.

"It's nice to be back, buy yourself a coffee or something." I said and backed away slowly, he laughed and took the money off the counter and put it in his pocket. I stepped out of the shop and took a cigarette out of the box; I shoved the box in my pocket and took out a lighter. I lit the cigarette quickly and took in a drag as I made my way back to my building.

I put the cigarette between my lips and held it there as I checked my phone; I slowly took in a drag and put my phone in my pocket as I looked up. Once I saw what was in front of me I took the cigarette out of my mouth and choked a bit on the smoke. I quickly tossed the cigarette on the ground and stepped on it. I felt her eyes on me now and I sighed and looked up slowly, putting a hand through my hair. Her brown eyes met with mine; I hadn't seen them in so long. My heart started to race. She moved her gaze down to my foot and I shifted from side to side awkwardly. She pointed down to the now ruined cigarette and I chuckled nervously.

"What can I say?" I said in a husky tone and she swallowed hard. "It helps." I looked down and she sighed.

I looked up at her once more and her mouth was agape, she looked a bit frozen in a way. Her eyes were wide and she just wouldn't budge. Her grip tightened around the bag she was holding and I took a deep breath and exhaled it slowly. She suddenly came back down to earth and shook her head a bit; she shifted and closed her eyes. I brought my hands in front of me and grabbed them; I then started to move from side to side not knowing what to say.

"It's a filthy habit." She said and looked down right away trying to hide a smile. I smiled and looked down as well.

"Guess you're right." I looked up at her again and found her staring at me. Again there was a silence between us. I felt like the world sort of stopped once I saw her, my heart was still racing and my hands were beginning to sweat.

"I am." She said slowly stepping closer to me.

"I uh I moved down the street from here." I said and her eyes widened. "Yeah, I was wondering if maybe you could come by and help me unpack. We could catch up and stuff, if you don't mind." I looked down as I said this because I was afraid of what she would say, I moved my foot from side to side and closed my eyes, and I looked up only opening one while squeezing the other one shut.

"Sure, I have some time now." She blushed and I smiled and relaxed a bit.

"Alright." I pointed ahead and she nodded and turned. "You look nice." I said, I couldn't take my eyes of her. Everything about her right now was gorgeous. Her hair fell perfectly and it looked softer than ever. She had little make up on and was wearing some black leggings and a blue sweater.

"Thanks, you do too, except for the smoking." She teased and I laughed.

"Sorry about it." I opened the door to my building for her and she stepped inside.