Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

The brick wall split down the middle and slid open with a loud grinding noise, drawing the attention of Splinter and his two youngest sons. They watched as Leo and Raph entered the lair, but not Kay.

"That girl is stubborn," Raph muttered as he flopped down on a bean bag in the living area, facing the couch where his family sat.

Leo came to stand beside his father, arms crossed. "We couldn't find her anywhere."

"You don't think she ran away, do you?" Mikey asked. "I mean, we're not that scary..."

Donnie shook his head. "I'm sure she just wants answers."

"We all want answers, Donnie. But running off into danger on your own is not the way to find them," Leo said firmly.

Raph scoffed. "At least she was willing to get up off her butt and do something instead of just sitting here."

"Just sitting here?"

"Yeah, Leo, just sitting here." The red-clad Turtle was suddenly on his feet again, anger coursing through him. "You know as well as the rest of us that we haven't really been trying to figure out what's going on with these guys. Kay's the one who kicked your butt into action."

Leo's eyes narrowed. "Now listen here, Raph—"

"No, you listen here." Raph strode forward purposefully, jabbing a finger into his older brother's chest as he sneered. "Ever since you came back from the jungle you've sat here and done squat. Crime doesn't stop – or have you forgotten that?"

"Of course I know—"

"Guys?" Donnie spoke up gently. "Let's not do this now."

Raph turned to his immediate junior. "And you, braniac. You two seem real close. I bet your training is what got her mind set on going it alone."

"Oh, like you've never gone it alone," the scientist retorted.

"You know something, Donnie. She talks to you more than anyone."

Mikey sat up. "Hey, what about me?"

Raph rolled his eyes. "Really talks to you. So what gives?"

"Nothing gives. Stop blaming everything on me!" Donnie snapped, growing more and more irritated by the second.

The hothead still would not let it go. "What has she told you? Do you know how she knows who we are?"

The purple-clad Turtle was silent for a long time. He darted his eyes back and forth between Raph's and Splinter's, then sighed. "Not exactly, but I have a theory."

"Which is?"

"I promised I wouldn't tell."

Leo raised an eye ridge. "So you do know something."

Donnie threw his hands in the air in exasperation. "Yes, I know something. She talks to me about things. Probably because I don't think she's a threat."

"If she knows who we are," the leader reasoned calmly, "she might not be the only one."

"You're wrong about her intentions, Leo. She keeps secrets better than anyone I know."

Raph crossed his arms. "Obviously."

"Guys," Mikey said, speaking clearly to gain their attention. "We're missing the point here. How are we going to find Kay?"

At last, silence settled on the lair. Not one of the brothers or their father spoke, letting the question hang in the air for longer than was comfortable. Each had his own thoughts about the situation, but no one wanted to be the first to voice their opinion, lest another argument ensue.

Finally Donnie sighed and stood up, turning to face his eldest brother. "You don't wish harm on her, surely?"

Leo's shoulders sagged in defeat. "Of course not, Donnie. I didn't mean that."

The purple-clad Turtle turned to his second older brother.

Raph frowned, his eyes changing suddenly. "Of course I don't want to hurt her. I kinda like the kid."

Mikey stared when the attention was shifted to him. "Really, Donnie?"

Last but not least, the scientist turned to his father, who had remained silent throughout the entire debate. He got to one knee. "Master Splinter, what should we do?"

Slowly, calmly, the elder rat trained his gaze on his oldest son. "Do not be so quick to judge this young woman. She struggles with the greatest enemy of all. Take care of her."

Leo swallowed. He dipped his head. "Hai, sensei."

To Raphael, Splinter said, "She will tell you of the things that trouble her when she is ready. You have already hurt her pride. Be patient, my son."

"Hai, sensei."

There was a long pause as Splinter considered his next words. Each of his sons waited with quiet respect for him to offer his wisdom. Just when the silence was beginning to get uncomfortable, the rat spoke again. "I do not believe she is in any immediate danger. Kay seeks answers to problems beyond her control. Leonardo will stay here with me. The rest of you go to the surface and try to find her. Stay out of sight."

All four of the Turtles bowed to their master, then scurried to do his bidding.

Splinter stroked his beard thoughtfully.

This old building certainly seemed familiar, but for the life of her Kay could not decide why. She'd never seen it before, let alone been inside. She silently followed behind Karai as the kunoichi led her through a maze of floors and weapons and computers, the Foot scurrying about everywhere they went.

As soon as they'd entered the premises, a rather large, muscular ninja had come up to Karai and stayed at her side as she traveled to her destination, wherever that was.

I bet the guys would love to know about this place, Kay thought absentmindedly as she and the others waited for the elevator to come to a stop a few floors down. When the doors opened, Karai strode purposefully towards the end of the massive room, where a set of monitors proved that the Foot had the city wired. Surveillance cameras were everywhere – it was no wonder Kay and the Turtles had always been found so quickly. I wonder if the Purple Dragons have this kind of tech, too?

At last the trio stopped walking. Karai folded her hands behind her back, nodded to one of her followers, and waited for the large screen in front of her to blink over to a new feed.

Kay's heart leapt when she saw the darkened figure from the other evening. In his distorted voice, he said, "What news do you have?"

"The girl you have been seeking wishes to know you, sir," Karai replied, her voice loud and clear.

The man on the screen chuckled. "Ah, good. I quite miss her infuriating personality." He reached forward, pressed a button, and suddenly a light shone on him and there was no longer any mystery.

Kay gasped aloud and staggered back. "No..."

"What's the matter?" the man asked with an evil grin, his voice no longer distorted. "Don't you know me?"

She knew exactly who he was. With his red suit, large mustache, and distinct vocal pattern, Kay couldn't deny what her eyes saw no matter how much she couldn't believe it. A whirlwind of emotions swam within her. This was impossible.

"Eggman."