Chapter 1- Taken

Chapter 1- Taken

 Kensi's POV

I stared at my giant stack of paperwork on my desk. This was not going to be fun. I glanced around the bullpen.

Sam was busy putting together a toy for his daughter's upcoming birthday.

Callen was also filling out the last of his paperwork from the last case.

Deeks, being his usual immature self, was spinning around in his chair throwing a tennis ball up in the air, and catching it. The corner of my mouth turned up slightly at the image of Deeks as a hyper golden retriever playing fetch.

A loud whistle came from upstairs. "We got a case!" Declared Eric loudly.

'Great, more paperwork' I thought to myself as I jogged up the stairs with the rest of my team. Deeks and I took our usual place behind the table.

"Petty Officer Richard Clark was found dead this morning in his apartment." Eric exclaimed as he put up a picture up on the big screen. I winced slightly as I looked over the photo. He was shot in the head, execution style. Judging by the bruises and cuts all over his body, it was evident he was tortured; It was probably for the information he might have known.

"So Mr. Hanna and Mr. Callen will go interview the family, and Ms. Blye and Mr. Deeks will go take a look at the crime." Ordered Hetty sternly.

"I guess I'm driving since someone was daydreaming over here." Teased Deeks playfully. I rolled my eyes.

"Fine, but I get to drive on the way back," I grinned at him, and followed my partner to the car outside the Mission. 

"You know Fern, I should mark my calendar for this moment right here." Deeks joked.

"And why is that?"

"Because this day, right here is the first time you didn't put up a fight for driving."

"Is that so?" I laughed. He leaned in close to me.

"Believe me sweetheart, I would remember if this happened before."

I stared into his baby blue eyes. He stared back at mine. I smirked, and socked him in the shoulder. He recoiled in horror.

"What the hell was that for?" He rubbed his arm sorely.

"Don't call me Fern. Or sweetheart."

He bit his lip and looked at me funny as the engine fired up. I stared out the passenger window with a grin spread across my face.

When we arrived at the crime scene, most of the LAPD had gone home. Only two officers were guarding the front of the house from their squad car, but it turns out they were both snoring away. I had to drag Deeks into the house before he drew Sharpie mustaches and unibrows on both of them.

We ducked underneath the crime tape, and I immediately felt uncomfortable in this room. I've seen plenty of crime scenes in my career, but this one seemed different. A deep red pool of blood covered the rug. Broken furniture and pictures were scattered everywhere. The back door was broken to the floor, and the prints of bloody boots were visible from across the room.  

"This is gruesome." Deeks muttered, running his hand through his long blond hair. I nodded in agreement, unable to talk.

I stepped around the blood, and inspected the kitchen. A variety of bloody knives were spread across a towel. A sledge hammer was thrown into the drywall, and a metal baseball bat sat on the kitchen table.

"This man went through so much torture. I can't even imagine..." I sighed and leaned against the wall.

"You ok?" He asked, seeming concerned. He came over and faced me.