Chapter 58- Renko

Chapter 58- Renko (unedited)

Deeks' POV

I knew something was wrong the moment I saw Kensi hesitate after looking through the peep hole. My suspicions were confirmed when I heard haunting words leave her mouth.

"That isn't possible. You're supposed to be dead."

Everything seemed to slow down. I quickly came up behind Kensi to look at the walking dead man. I sucked in a breath. I knew him. 

"Mike?" Kensi said softly, and stared closely at the man. He had curly hair that was gathered on top of his head. He looked like he smiled a lot, but the jagged scar running along his upper jaw showed that his days of laugher were long over. Mike's eyes were tired and worn, like he'd seen more than he'd want to. I knew that feeling well. I watched as the two embraced, Kensi still being hesitant. 

"How many people are going to come back to life this year?" I said jokingly, trying desperately to lighten the mood that was forming. "God, 2013 has been a weird year." The laughter from Kensi and Mike let the air I was apparently holding in, out. 

Kensi turned to me and looked between the two of us. "Deeks, you remember Special Agent Mike Renko?"

The name hit me at once. Kensi had talked about him before. He was an agent that operated with both OSP and the guys out in DC. Granger's guy. He also worked with some of my LAPD buddies during a fake bank robbery a couple years back. Kensi was "shot" multiple times during that operation.  I knew he and Kens were pretty close, and he had been shot right before her eyes. 

I guess we've all gotten used to people coming back from the dead, because the inital shock wore off real quick. Kensi and Renko sat down at the table while I got a couple beers from the fridge.

"... and Granger thought it would be better if I was dead. I would be completely undercover, and safe until that bastard was caught. I guess my after death assignment never ended."

"But I was there I saw your body. Your heart was stopped."

"Thanks to that weird pulse slowing stuff, I just looked dead. It wasn't pleasant." He sighed, and ran his fingertips along his scar.

I sat down next to Kens and slid the beers across the table to Renko. He looked between the the two of us and smirked. After taking a long swig of his beer he cleared his throat. By the way his eyes were moving back and forth from each of us I knew he was studying our body language.

"So you two finally did it." He said finally. "I knew it was meant to be." 

I stared at him wide-mouthed.

"You last saw us together, what, three years ago? We practically hated each other then." I said, glancing at Kensi who nodded in agreement. 

"I saw the security footage of you and her at the range. That was a smooth move there, Deeks. I never got to tell you. Kensi doesn't let just any man put his arms around her and get away with it with barely a scratch."

"If I remember correctly I had an elbow shaped bruise in the middle of my chest."  

"But you didn't lose a finger." He said with a wink. Kensi let out a snort-laugh and looked at Mike. 

"I'm not that mean!" She protested. 

"Are you kidding?" Renko and I said in unison. 

"I'm not!" 

"You insult me on a daily basis." I laughed. She glared at me.

"Hey, but I sleep with you so are you really offended?" 

"Touche." 

"Wow this is better than crappy daytime television." Renko chuckled. I almost forgot he was there. "You see, I'm a good judge of chemistry."

I looked over at Kensi, but found she was already staring at me with her beautiful mismatched eyes. The sexual tension between us rose as the recent memory of us on the couch came back to mind. Mike Renko was forgotten again. The thought of her soft lips against mine made the corners of my lips turn upwards into a small smile. My eyes traveled down to her neck where she was rubbing the golden gun between her index finger and thumb. I knew she truly did love that necklace. 

"So, I'm gonna go make my rounds to Sam and Callen, and wish them a Merry Christmas. I hope they won't shoot me on sight." Renko joked, and stood up from the table. Kensi shot up and started walking with him to the door. 

"Will you be coming in to work after break?" she asked, her voice full of hope.

"Sorry Kens, but I retired last year. My jaw always hurts nowadays. I feel like Janvier. I couldn't do field work anymore. Now I just consult on cases, but none at the moment."

Kensi's eyes zeroed in on Renko's ugly scar on his cheek. Her entire demeaner changed. Suddenly she seemed almost angry. I guess now that Renko being alive had sunk in completely, questions wre arising. This couldn't be good. "Then why are you here? Why now? If you retired so long ago why wait to contact us." She took a step closer to the retired agent. He instinctly backed up against the door frame, but now he had nowhere to go. "I waited at the hospital for you to wake up, but you never did. We all thought you were dead. Callen and Sam said Hetty cried, Mike. We all loved you, and you didn't even think to tell us you've been alive for three fucking years." I held back the urge to reach out and hug my girlfriend, who now had tears streaming down her cheeks. Kensi has never done well with loss, espically those who were close to her. Renko was another partner that left her suddenly, much like Dom. Oh god, how I hated it when she cried. 

Mike's face softened, and he placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. She shook him off immedially and retreated back, leaning into my chest. 

"Kensi, I'm sorry. I should have told you, but I couldn't. You of all people should know how important it is to maintain your cover." 

Kensi stared at him blank faced. "At least I came back as soon as I could. Hell, I had to wait to see my family because the operation would be in jeopardy if I showed my face too early."

"Kens... I'm-"

"I don't want an apology from you, Renko. I'm extrememly happy that you're alive, but at the same time I can't look at you without feeling betrayed." 

"I'll go then. It's been great seeing you guys again." He said, nodding at me. He opened the door and paused. "And Kensi?" She looked up at him again. "You definatly saved my butt also back there at Point Blank. I never got to thank you for that." And with that he was gone. 

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

So you thought it was Jack, huh? That's where I was going, but so many of you guessed him I thought it would be a fun little plot twist to bring back a minor character that had a big impact on the team. Yes, Jack is dead, by the way. He was found dead in earlier chapters in case any of you forgot (I actually forgot if I killed him off or not so I had to go back and read through my old chapters, so I don't blame any of you if you forgot also) 

Two chapters published in about 2 days. I wish I could keep this up on a daily basis all the time! Thank you for all the support!

Please ignore any spelling or grammar mistakes. I don't have much time to edit because I'm so busy writing:)

Twitter:@lovenchocolate

My personal Instagram: @katecoolmann