0.1 Sharpie

The girl who sat beside him was odd to say the least.

Each day she would come into their psych class and collapse into her desk, letting her bulky messenger bag fall onto the linoleum beside her with a loud clunk. Then she would cross both her legs and rummage through it, the sound of objects bumping against each other filling the silence of the classroom until she finally found her multi-colored sharpies. She'd then select a color from the rubber-banded bundle and brush her nails with it.

And even though she used marker, she was precise with each stroke, making sure that the color only touched her nails and not the skin that surrounded them. It was rather fascinating how easily she concentrated on something as trivial as coloring her nails, yet when it came to the class itself she couldn't be bothered to keep her eyes on the board. She'd stare at the walls and at her desk and at her colored nails, but mostly out the window to her left where the clouds were always heavy with the promise of rain. Her silver eyes would glaze over as if she were lost in those clouds, in a world no one else could see.

Then the teacher would call her out and everyone's eyes would turn to her, yet his were already there, curiously watching her as she blinked and stared back at the teacher. They would then have a silent argument in which she'd always win, so the teacher would sigh, tell her to pay attention, and then go back to the lesson.

Soft squeaks and moans would fill the class as the students shifted in their ancient desks and focused back on the teacher. The girl would watch for a moment, her eyes narrowed the slightest bit as if it would help her concentrate on the white board in front of her. Her uneven, dirty blonde bangs would then slide into her eyes as her head shifted back to the window and those silver irises would glaze over once more.

All the while he'd cast glances at the odd girl beside him and wonder why she colored her nails with sharpie and sat cross-legged at her desk and wore her hair choppy and uneven.

And through all his wondering, not once did the odd girl look his way.