1.2 The Minx Family

When he got to the restaurant it was, indeed, utter chaos. The few servers on hand were running around trying to meet everyone's needs and the host was dealing with a line that practically went out the door. The chatter was so loud it covered the old school music his dad normally had playing throughout the building.

    "Copeland!" Anna said from where she was filling cups with soft drinks behind the bar. "Thank god you're here. Could you take over wall three, six, and eight for me? They haven't been served yet."

    He nodded and tied an apron around his waist before stuffing some straws inside and pulling out his notepad and pen. With a nod to his dad who was behind the grill, he hurried over to his tables and began taking orders.

    When he managed to get over to wall six, though, he wasn't expecting to see Minx.

    She sat with who he assumed were her parents and a guy that was probably  her older brother. They both had the same dirty blond hair, silver eyes and high cheekbones, but his face was more angular with sharper edges while hers was softer and rounded. The same went for the parents, though the mom's hair was more brown than blonde and the dad's eyes were more green than grey. Even though they had similar looks, he could tell that Minx was the odd one out. She sat criss-cross on her chair and she was paler than the others. They all seemed dressy; the mom in a floral dress, the father in a button down and a grey sweater pulled over the son's rather muscular torso. Minx, although, was wearing a white tank top with that sweater tied around her waist and beat-up yellow converse. Her cup was the only one without ice.

    "Hey, I'm Copeland and I will be your server tonight. What can I get ya?" he asked as he brought his pen up to his notebook.

    "Hey Copeland. I didn't know you worked here," she said while twirling her straw in her cup. Her parents glanced at her before looking back up at him.

    "Yeah, my dad owns the restaurant and was short on staff."

    "Hello Copeland!" her mother said as she held a hand out to him. After a moment's hesitation he took it in his. "It's so great to meet one of Minx's friends. I'm Deb, her mother; and this is Ed," she gestured to Minx's father, "and her brother Theodore."

    Theodore nodded at him. "Call me Theo."

    Deb tisked. "You have a darling name. I see no reason why you have to go around shortening it."

    Theo only rolled his eyes before picking up the menu and pointing to one of the sandwiches. "How's the chicken philly? I didn't know it could be made like that."

    "That's one of our more popular dishes. The regulars love it."

    Theo nodded and closed his menu. "I'll have that then with a side of waffle fries." Copeland nodded and scribbled it down on his notepad.

    Ed and Deb then recited their orders before Deb decided to invite him over sometime for dinner. "I make a mean chicken pot pie." She leaned over to Minx and patted her hand. "Don't worry, tofu for you dear."

    Minx just gave her a small, knowing smile before tugging her menu closer to her and pointing to something with her Sharpie-painted finger. "The veggie wrap looks good," she said and looked up at Copeland. "With a fruit cup please."

    "Good choice," he said while picking up the menus. "That's my mom's favorite." He tucked the menus under his arm as she smiled at him.

    "It's nice meeting you!" Deb called as he stepped away from the table. He glanced over at her and gave a smile before moving on to his next table with his pen at the ready.