3.1 Check In

He didn't go to school Wednesday morning. Instead he drove his mom to the hospital for her operation. His dad was going to meet them there, leaving Copeland some time with his mom before the surgery.

"It's going to be okay," his mom said for the third time since they left the apartment.

He glanced over at her again. "I know," he said. "Don't worry."

She went silent and folded her hands together in her lap. She was so much thinner now and the color in her skin had faded to white. He wasn't sure if the later was due to the treatment or the fear of what was to come.

His mom loved working as a nurse and helping people, but the idea of surgery always terrified her, which was why she never studied to be a doctor. She'd help with patients before and after a surgery, but she refused to be there during the operation. She told him that the thought of cutting someone open gave her chills.

He pulled into the parking garage and found an open space on the ground floor. After killing the engine he helped his mother out of her silver Camry and then walked to the check in.

She gave his shoulder a squeeze as they waited in line and then she smiled over at his dad who had reserved two other chairs for them. His dad was tall and broad-shouldered, his eyes always seeming to be stuck in a squint because he refused to wear his glasses. He claimed that they got dirty at work and he hated cleaning them.

When Copeland's mom finally finished getting check in, he led her to the seats and sat on the other side of her. They were silent, which wasn't anything new. His family wasn't much for words, but this particular silence was different. It wasn't normal; it was a black hole. It sucked in all of the thoughts and possible words as they sat and waited. He shifted in his seat and fiddled with the hem of his t-shirt.

"Karen?" the nurse called after what felt like hours of waiting.

His mom reached over and pat his knee before squeezing his dad's hand.

"It's going to be okay," she said.

She stood and followed the nurse into the back.