Chater Eight

• Посвящена My Best Bud Meggerz....for supporting me through everything

“What do you want, anyway? Did you just wait for me so you could bug me some more?”

I dropped my head, embarrassed. “No…I wanted to ask about last night.”

He sucked in a breath, then smiled widely, rubbing the back of his head subconsciously, the obvious pose for someone lying or about to lie. I grumbled to myself. Of course he’ll just deny anything I say; that’s just annoyingly like him.

“Well,” he said. “What about last night? I mean, a truck crashed into the house, what else is there to it? It seems really quite simple, to me at least.”

Putting a hand on his shoulder, I stopped him in his tracks. He looked at me in surprise.

“Look,” I said, putting my head down. “I know about what really happened last night with that girl in the black robe, Rukia.” He looked at me, astonished.

“W…w-what are you talking about?” he said, still thinking that he could lie to me. I scoffed. Idiot. “There…there wasn’t any girl in a black robe last night. A-chan, I think you’ve lost your min--”

“I know what I saw!” I interrupted, ignoring the nickname. Trying to distract me, I bet. Sneaky trick, you bastard. He recoiled at my loud outburst. I peripherally saw Tara and Babs turn around to look at us. Keigo was chatting with them, probably a weak attempt to flirt, but eventually noticed that they were paused and spun, too. I felt my face heat up, and waved to them.

“Sorry!” I yelled. “Kurosaki’s just pissing people off again!”

“HEY!” he said. “Whaddya me--umph!” I covered his mouth with my hand.

“Ssh!” I said. He quieted and we all turned ‘about face’ to the direction of the school and started to walk again.

“Look,” I said in a hushed tone, ”I know what really happened, so, please, stop this weak attempt at lying.”

He huffed, realizing there was no way to win. “Okay, what about last night? And how do you know about what happened? I thought you were watching over Karin and Yuzu and your friends?” He shot me a suspicious look.

Crap, I had forgotten about that. “Look,“ I said. “To tell you the truth…we’re…kinda…psychic.“

He looked at me, dumbfounded. “Nuh-uh,“ he said. “Liar.“

“No, I swear!“ I said. “I’m the most psychic; Tara and Babs barely know anything. Babs isn’t psychic, and Tara can only sense auras. But we don’t like to talk about it, so please don’t bring it up.” I didn’t want the girls finding out about my lie. “But anyway, you don’t have to worry about them.“

“So I have to worry about you?“

“Damn strait, you do.“ I grinned at him, but quickly dropped back to a serious expression. “I know all about those Wholes and Hollows. I even know that you exterminated one.“ He looked at me in shock, but I continued. “I just wanted to let you know that I knew all about that stuff, so I’m gonna stick around you, Mr. Shinigami {A/N: for those not familiar, Shinigami is the Japanese word for Soul Reaper, literally translating to “Death God”} .” I paused. “I wanna be in on the action!”

I knew I wasn’t actually psychic; I had just read the manga and watched the show. But he didn’t need to know that.

He stared as if I had sixty heads. “ARE YOU FREAKING INSANE?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!” he screamed.

“Nope,” I said, knocking a fist against my head. “Perfectly sane upstairs.”

“Obviously not,” he scoffed, “if you really think that this is a good idea.”