Chapter Thirty

“Hey guys,” I said, speaking to the little boys. They turned quickly at the sound of a female’s voice and their eyes widened to saucers. I wanted to puke; these boys are like eleven and ALREADY perverts…I’ll have to keep Yuzu and Karin away from them. 

I bent down to their level. “I’m looking for my, uh, friend and I was wondering if you’ve seen him. He’s a highschooler, orange hair, still wearing a uniform. You seen anyone like that?”

They were silent for a bit before one started to respond. “Uh…we haven’t seen anyone like that, lady. Sorry.”

Another one looked at me strangely. I unfortunately noticed he was holding what seemed to be the Japanese equivalent of Playboy. I looked at it, disgusted, but moved on. 

“Is he your boyfriend or somethin’?” One of them asked. I glanced at him as he spoke: glasses, a cocky grin, and an Elvis-style haircut. I snorted as I realized he looked like a mix of a video game nerd and a total douchebag. 

“As if,” I responded bluntly, looking to the side. I noticed the orange streak overhead and knew he was listening. “He wishes. Thanks anyway, guys. I found him.” I glanced up to Kon, who looked surprised at my noticing of his presence. I waved and grinned. “Hey! Get ‘cher ass down here, idiot!”

He seemed to be thinking for a minute on whether to listen to me or not, but eventually he shrugged in indifference and lept down. I chuckled as I saw the boys’ looks of terror and amazement as they saw him “drop from the sky.” 

I grabbed his hand and tried to drag him away. “Come on,” I pleaded. “We need to get back to school.”

I expected him to come back with some smart-ass comment, but he was completely silent, something so rare that it made me a bit wary. “Come on,” I said, tugging on his arm a bit harder. But he just stared into the sky, as if he was looking for something. 

Suddenly, a GIANT FREAKING HOLLOW appeared, soaring over the other side of the school’s gym and towards us. It looked like a giant centipede, one of my few true fears. I know, a dumb thing to be scared of, but when you wake up in the middle of the night with one on your arm, it kinda leaves a mark on you. So of course, I froze up. I mean, not only was it a centipede, but a FREAKING HUGE ONE. I had no idea what to do. 

Thankfully, Kon did. He grabbed me around the waist and the nerds by their shirt collars and sprinted away. He took us a good two hundred yards before dropping us off and turning to the Hollow. 

“What was that for?” one of the little dorks asked. “What’d we do to you? Jeez, you didn’t have to nearly choke us!” 

He ignored them. “RUN!!” he yelled. 

“Huh?” they chorused. 

“You wanna die?” I yelled to them, picking myself off the ground. “Get the hell away, you little assholes!”

“What the--” one of them asked. Before they could really reply, the Hollow attacked, and Kon fell with a huge gash in his shoulder. 

The boys screamed. 

“Look, guys!” I said. “This is what we mean! Go away! Go hide in the locker room or something!”

They didn’t hesitate to follow my orders. With them running away and gone, I rushed over to Kon, helping him back up. Once he was up, I faced the Hollow. “Hey, dipshit!” I yelled, grabbing its attention. “Over here, lardo!” (A/N: I just noticed how many freaking fight scenes there are. Oh well, that’s shonen manga.)

It obviously didn’t like what I was saying, so the Hollow lunged at me. I quickly dodged and landed a swift kick on its mask. It did almost nothing, but it distracted the beast for a moment. And a moment was all I needed.