03: Bad Moon Rising

"Do you remember the first time we were formally introduced by our fathers?" I quietly asked, looking over the water. My head rested against a shoulder, an arm around my waist and holding me close to the owner.

   "Of course I do," the owner of the shoulder and arm chortled. "You had this beautiful pink dress on with this weird colourful embroidery on the bodice and arms. And you had your hair over your shoulder, long and blond and like the sun on a warm summers day. Your mother had wanted you to style your hair up, but you rebelled and allowed to be free in ringlets." He pulled away to look at me. With a small smile around his lips, he pushed the hair out of my eyes. "Your eyes were this magnificent green that reminded me of mothers' old earrings. And you always had this smile on your lips as your father paraded you around the room and looked for suitors; that smile only widened when you stopped in front of me." His lips widened into a bigger smile. "It's was Stefan's birthday celebration."

   I giggled and nodded, taking his free hand between mine. "You're very poetic, Mr. Salvatore," I said, smiling. "Who knew that you remembered every detail?"

   Damon shrugged his shoulders and pursed his lips. "I pay attention, Miss Forbes," he said. "Only to the things I find most beautiful."

   "Oh, really?" I asked, widening my eyes and playfully glaring. "Who else do you find beautiful? I've heard you talk about Mary."

   He made a face and leaned closer to me, his lips brushing against mine. "Mary? Who's that? I only have eyes for Miss Clara Forbes."

   "Isobel's research here in Mystic Falls rooted in folklores and legends but at the time I thought much which was fiction." Alaric Saltzman's voice caused me to wake up from my day dream. He had come over some time while I was day dreaming in order to help us, mostly the ever so curious Damon, know more about the Lockwood's. Stefan, Elena, and I were curious, but as much as Damon.

   "Like that amazing vampire story," Damon mused.

   "Asides from vampires, what else?" Elena asked, ignoring Damon. 

   "The lycanthrope," Alaric said, eyeing each one of us. It was quiet for a few seconds with all of us being curious.

   "Wait," Elena broke the silence. "Like, werewolves?"

   "No way," Damon immediately disagreed. "Impossible. Way too Lon Chaney."

   "Maybe Lon Chaney turned into a vampire and he's back," I muttered, rolling my eyes at him. 

   He looked at me with a face, then rolled his eyes. "I've been on this planet for a hundred and sixty some odd years; never came across one. If werewolves exist, where the hell are they?" He sounded like those people that theorized alien life on the History channel. 

   "Why do you suspect the Lockwood's?" Alaric asked.

   "Because vervain didn't affect the mayor at Founder's Day but the Gilbert device did," I said, finally joining the conversation in an useful manner. "And it affected his son, Tyler."

   "And at the school carnival, his uncle Mason exhibited inhuman behaviour when he fought with one of the carnival workers," Stefan added. "It suggests it's some sort of, uh, a supernatural entity."

   "We were hopping that Isobel's research could help us figure out what it is," added Elena.

   "Well, all of her things are still at Duke," Alaric sighed. "I mean, her office is still there, she's technically still missing."

   "So, can we get access to it?" asked Damon, completely ignoring the hurt look in Alaric's face when he spoke about his wife. From what I was told, Isobel was his wife-turned-vampire and Elena's birth mother. It was a jumble of emotions and things that could only happen in some mystery novel. But, no, this was Elena's complicated life, and we were somehow pulled into it.