15: As I Lay Dying

Stefan and I had been going crazy trying to find a cure for Damon's werewolf bite. The both of us wanted him to survive, we wanted him to be alive for a lot longer than he was. We asked Bonnie to speak to the witches, and she reluctantly found the answer. Klaus. He was the answer for the cure. I didn't know what that meant, but as soon as we got Bonnie home, we sped to Alaric's apartment, where Klaus was staying.

   "How is he?" I asked Stefan as we walked up the stairs of the apartment complex.

   "Damon?" He let out a deep sigh and pushed the hands deep into his pockets. "I think... I think the bite has gotten worse, but you know how he is. He doesn't tell us how he's feeling or what's happening."

   "And Elena?" I wanted to speak about Damon no more. If I continued to think about him, I would break down and cry. I didn't believe that Klaus would have a cure. And if he did, why would he give it to the people that tried to kill him?

   "She's with Damon," Stefan answered. I stopped and looked at him with wide eyes, surprised. "No, it's nothing like that, Clara. I had to tell her about him, make him believe that there's still hope."

   "Yeah, whatever," I sighed, opening the front door to Alaric's apartment. Katherine was sitting on the bed. She didn't look happy or excited, she looked mad. "Hello, Katherine," I greeted with yet another sigh.

   "Two days, I've been waiting!" she hissed, standing. "I'm supposed to be free of Klaus' compulsion by now. He's supposed to be dead!"

   "We ran into complications," Stefan said, glancing around. 

   "Complications?"

   "Doesn't really matter," I answered, crossing my arms. "We just really need to find him. Do you have any idea where he might be?"

   Katherine suddenly grabbed our throats and pressed us to the wall. She gave us a look that told us to be quiet as the door creaked open. "Klaus," she breathed, "you're back. Look who decided to come for a visit." She pulled us away from the wall and made us look Klaus, who came in with Elijah by his side. I stared at him, slightly frowning. He looked away from my eyes.

   Klaus smirked as he looked at Stefan and I. "You two just keep popping up, don't you?"

   "We need your help..." Stefan swallowed. "For my brother."

   "Well, whatever it is, it's gonna have to wait a tick," Klaus answered. "You see, I have an obligation for my brother that requires my immediate attention." I looked at Klaus, who had an unreadable look on his face. It was as if he were debating something in his head.

   "You understand how important family is, or you wouldn't be here," Elijah said, mostly to Stefan. "My brother gave me his word that he would reunite me with my own."

   "And so I shall," Klaus added from behind Elijah. When Elijah turned, Klaus plunged a dagger to his heart, killing him. I gasped and took a step back. Watching how cruel Klaus was to his brother was different than hearing it. It was sudden, it was terrifying. He suddenly took Stefan by the throat and pushed him to the wall. "Now, what am I going to do with you?" He pushed a stake through Stefan,smirking. "Do you feel that? It's scarping against your heart. The slightest little movement and you're dead."

   "He's just trying to help his brother," Katherine added from the corner.

   "The witches said you had a cure," Stefan panted, pain in his voice. "Make me a deal. Just give me the cure and I'll do whatever you want."

   Klaus pulled the stake from Stefan, making him fall to the ground. He kept his back to us, the indifferent scent of blood filling the air as he poured himself a glass. "Trouble is I don't know if you'd be any good to me the way you are now. You are just shy of useless." He took a drink of the blood and circled Stefan once, and crouched in front of him. "I heard about this one vampire, crazy bloke, always on and off the wagon for decades. When he was off, he was magnificent. In 1917, he went into Monterrey and wiped out an entire migrant village... A true ripper. Sound familiar?"