20: Ghost World

After we arrived to Mystic Falls, thing took their turn for the worse. Klaus learned how to make successful hybrids, which was by having them drink Elena's blood while they were in transition. His first successful hybrid was Tyler Lockwood, Caroline's new boyfriend. After Tyler's transition, Klaus made Stefan turn off his humanity. It was because he saw how much Stefan cared for Elena, even when he was compelled to drink from her. Now, Stefan was the humanity-less ripper that was alive in the twenties. Klaus left soon after, leaving Rebekah behind.

   During the bonfire at the school, which apparently happened every year during the first day of school, the Save Elena Squad found out that Tyler was sired to Klaus, which meant that he felt completely loyal to the hybrid. Elena almost died because a girl that was supposed to be dead--Matt Donovan's sister--came back by means of a witch from the Other Side. It was all a jumble of things, both necessary and unnecessary events.

   I walked down the stairs of the Salvatore Boarding House, a book in hand and my lips pursed as I moved deep in thought. A scream echoed from the living room, causing me to stop reading and run. Damon was tied up with chain on a chair, his ring on the floor and the curtains wide open with the sun shining brightly on him.

   "A little help?" he yelled through the pain.

   I hurried to the window and closed the curtains, then broke the chains that tied him down. "What the hell happened to you?" I asked. "Was it Stefan?"

   "Apparently not," he groaned, standing. He stretched, his back cracking, and marched to where the ring was. "He said it wasn't him, and I believe him."

   "Then who else could have possibly tried to just kill you?" I asked, crossing my arms. "I'm sure there are plenty of others that want to kill you, but I think they would have a bit more fun with it."

   Damon stayed quiet for a few seconds, his hand on his waist as he glanced around while deep in thought. "Mason Lockwood," he suddenly said.

   "He's dead," I reasoned, rolling my eyes. "Or what, ghosts are now haunting the living?"

   "Little Gilbert is seeing his dead vampire girlfriend," he divulged, looking at me. "And this is the exact same way I tortured Mason, remember? I'm pretty sure this was him."

   I laughed and shook my head, laying my book on the table. "Really? You think it's him?" I asked, a smile on my lips. "O' Mason Lockwood, give us a sign if you are here!" I spun around as I spoke, laughing. I stopped and looked back at Damon, crossing my arms with amusement still etched on my face.

   Suddenly, the book that I had laid on the table flew across the room. It landed with a thud right by the fireplace, sprawled open. My smile began to fade as I went to pick up the book. The leather cover felt unnaturally cold against my hand. I turned to Damon, who looked both worried and angry.

   "We should probably go find Bonnie," I said, watching my surroundings.

   We hurried to the car all while, I kept the book close to me. I tapped my fingers against the leather cover, creating a rhythm of four taps every second. It was a random beat, but it calmed the itching nerves to open it and continue to read.

   "What's with the book?" Damon asked as we stopped at a red light. "You've been carrying it around since you laid your hands on it. It's kind of annoying, since I don't know what it is because you're acting mysterious about it. So, what's it about?"

   Instead of going back to my house, I had decided to stay at the boarding house. If I were to be honest why, it was because I was afraid that Klaus would come back and I'd have to go with him again. If I were to be completely honest, it was because I wanted to feel closer to the Salvatore brothers, to my old life.