18. Disturbing Behaviour

After Rebekah fought more with Klaus and re-conciliated with Stefan, we went to a store in the middle of Chicago in the morning. She would be able to buy modern clothing and get a bite more used to the twenty-first century. Klaus compelled everyone in the store, made a woman bring us champagne all while Rebekah tried on clothes after clothes.

   "There has to be more to this dress," she whined from inside the fitting room.

   "There isn't," Klaus replied, sighing.

   She came out of the fitting room, wearing a short black dress and a pout on her lips. "So, women in the twenty-first century dress like prostitutes, then. You know, I got dirty looks for wearing trousers."

   "You wore trousers so women today could wear nothing," Klaus joked, smiling softly at her. He had drunk one whole bottle of champagne by himself, currently going through his second one.

   "And what is this music?" Rebekah continued, looking up at the speakers on the ceiling. "It sounds like a cable car accident."

   "It's dance music," Stefan corrected her.

   "People dance to this?"

  "Hmm."

  "Are we done?" Klaus asked, annoyed. 

  "And why are you so grumpy?" she teasingly asked.

  "He's always like this," I lowly said, watching the bubble liquid on the glass with both of my hands under my chin.

   Klaus ignored my words and continued with his grumpy attitude. "I needed one thing from you for my witch to find out why my hybrids are dying, one thing. Your necklace. And you lost it."

   "I didn't lose it. It's been missing for ninety years." Rebekah turned to look at Stefan, halfway twirling while looking at herself in the mirror. "So, what do you think?"

   "Uh, I like it," he responded, giving her half a smile. She looked at him, tilting her head to the side without satisfaction. "What? I said I like it." I closed my eyes and shook my head, letting out a long sigh. 

   "I can always tell when you're lying, Stefan," Rebekah said, returning to the fitting room.

   "Good work," I told him, shaking my head. "That was unbelievable."

   "Nice one," Klaus sighed, giving him a look.

   "You're the one that pulled the dagger out of her," Stefan countered. 

   "I heard that!" Rebekah called from the other side of the curtains. 

   "All right," Stefan sighed, finishing his champagne. "I'm going to get some fresh air." He stood and made his way out of the store, leaving me with Klaus and Rebekah.

   I leaned back on the chair and looked up at the ceiling, making a face. Shopping was fun, but that was when I was doing it and not watching someone else do it. Rebekah had tried on various clothes, all of them in which she didn't like. If she did like them, she would still find something about it to complain about. I would groan out, earning a glare from her and a chuckle from Klaus. 

   "Why don't you get something for yourself?" he asked, letting out a soft sigh. "There must be something here that suits your taste."

   "Hmm," I responded, keeping my hands under my chin and my eyes fixed on the glass in front of me.

   "I've only seen you wear dresses," Klaus continued. "Is that all you have in your wardrobe, Clara? Do you only own dresses and skirts? To be honest, I've never seen you wear trousers."