Chapter 3 - A year later - part 3

After yet another extensive work out, Eliana, sweating and panting, ran a hand through her hair. Despite her efforts, she hadn't been able to put her dream out of her mind.

"Is everything okay, Eliana? You've not spoken in about two hours."

It was Mineos, the one who'd mentored her when she'd decided to learn how to fight.

"Yeah... I just... keep thinking about Eora."

His look of concern turned thoughtful.

"Yes, I heard about that. Is she okay?"

"She was fine when I saw her last... but I think I'd like to go check on her. I'll see you later."

"Bye, Eliana."

She quickly showered, changed out of her workout clothes and took off into the Cethielite sky. Eventually, saw Eora's house. She had seen her outside it the day before when she'd flown around looking for other people with fever.

"There..." she said to herself, angling her body to begin her descent.

She soon landed outside the house. She glanced around her, then knocked on the door.

"Eora? Eora, can you hear me? It's Eliana, we met yesterday."

No answer.

"Eora?" Eliana called.

Still, no sound. She knocked again.

Maybe she's not home... she thought.

She turned and glanced through a window; She knew it was a little rude, but there was no harm in looking to see if she was home, was there? She could see a table with a cup of ambrosian tea steaming on the table. But no one in sight. She tried tapping the window, but again, nothing. She frowned, starting to feel worried. She tried pushing the door open, which turned out to be unlocked.

"... Eora? Are you here?"

She looked around and gasped. There, lying on the floor in her white clothes, her short reddish brown hair poking out from behind the table leg, was Eora.

"Eora?! Eora! Hey, Eora, can you hear me?"

Eliana tried tapping her, shaking her gently... nothing. What was this? Why was she fainting? What was making her sick? She pulled her into her arms and flew out towards Healer Thalios. She was looking through her vials and onguents.

"Healer Thalios!" Eliana called, making her jump.

"What?! What is it?"

"It's Eora, something's wrong...!"

"Oh, Cethiel above!" Healer Thalios gasped. "On the table, quickly..."

Eliana crossed the room and lay Eora down.

"... I'll run some blood tests, there must be some source to this problem..."

"I'll go see if there's anyone else that's affected." Eliana said. "There weren't any yesterday, but it could change..."

Healer Thalios nodded without looking at her, bent over Eora.

**********

Zerelus was furious. Pacing the room angrily, he couldn't believe what had just happened. How dare Khyros refuse him! He had offered him the most glorious opportunity anyone could dream of! And that impudent young Khyros had all but laughed at the idea! The nerve of him!

"WELSIUS!" he roared.

"M-My Lord?" Welsius yelped, hurrying into the room.

"Tell me why!" he ordered.

"... Tell you... wh-why what, m-my Lord?"

Welsius feared his master when he was in such rages, and since he was almost always furious about something or other, Welsius was almost always terrified of him.

"Why did Khyros not accept my offer?"

Welsius thought for a moment, trying to find how to phrase it so Zerelus didn't get even angrier.

"... I must admit I have no idea, my Lord, I was sure he'd be thrilled with the honor of serving you..."

Welsius cowered before his master's glare.

"Well clearly, you were wrong! As you always are!" he snarled angrily.

"But my lord..." Welsius wailed pitifuly.

"Silence!" Zerelus snapped. "Get out of my sight."

Welsius didn't need telling twice. He quickly hurried out of the room. Zerelus then fell back into his throne moodily. How could one refuse a lifetime of honors, directing, planning battle? He would have given life and limb for a chance like that! If he hadn't already been the king, that is. After a moment, he calmed down enough to think rationally. He would have to think about it, no one just forgot being offered such a prestigious position, especially by the king himself. And he would see it was in his best interest to accept. And then... then, Zerelus could proceed to the next part of his plans.

**********

This time, she found two other people starting to feel weak, and who had felt dizzy. She enlisted Laera's help to check everywhere else. There were no others, it seemed. Eliana and Laera stood in a corner as Healer Thalios took care of her patients, helping whenever they could. Eventually she was finished and came over to them.

"How are they doing?" Eliana asked quietly while the three invalids, who had come round, were resting.

"They'll be fine after a few days rest." the healer answered. "But whatever this is seemed more virulent than the last time..."

"D'you think it's this the same illness?" Laera asked.

"They seem to have very similar symptoms..." Healer Thalios "But I have to admit I'm at a loss at to what causes them or why..."

"Allergies, maybe?" Eliana suggested, though with little conviction.

Healer Thalios shook her head.

"We've never had any in the three hundred and thirty two years I've been around," she said. "I'll keep looking it up, but nothing seems familiar to me so far. I think it's something to do with the environment, personally."

Eliana wasn't sure she followed. Nor, it seemed, did Laera.

"If it was the environment, wouldn't people have been getting sick centuries ago?"

"That depends what changed, and when."

"But nothing has changed in centuries!" Laera said.

"Not on our side, no," Healer Thalios agreed. "But ours is not the only world that exists."

Eliana frowned.

"So... you're saying something in another world is going wrong, and it's affecting ours?" she asked.

Healer Thalios looked gravely at them.

"I have no idea. But it's a possibility."

*******************************

Uh oh, people getting sick without any explanation? Not good! Don't you agree? Vote and comment if you agree!

What do you think is going to happen next? How is Eliana going to solve this? Can she even do it? Let's find out in the next chapter!