Chapter 6 - That painful sense of déjà-vu - part 2

Theos was immediately by his Queen's side as the portal closed and she staggered.

"Your Majesty!"

He caught her by the shoulders before she fell to the floor. The other two guards hovered around them, unsure what to do.

"Don't just stand there! Go find some water!" Theos said sharply.

They jumped, baffled "Oh, yes, right away!" and hurried out of the room.

"Are you all right?" Theos said.

The Queen, unable to sit up, leaned against him. His arms tightened reflexively, protectively around her.

"... I cannot be anything else," Phaedra said in a whisper. "I am with you."

Theos looked at her.

"Majesty..."

"You've always protected me... ever since we first met..."

"... We... that was diferent... things are different..."

"Does that make them wrong?"

There was a silence. Phaedra winced.

"Phaedra!" Theos gasped unthinkingly before instantly biting his lip. "Forgive me... Your Majesty..."

"You haven't called me Phaedra in years..." Queen Phaedra commented.

She looked up at Theos, his dark hair, his depe eyes, and concerned face. She could see her own pale face, her long silvery blond hair and grey eyes.

"What do you think of those two young people?" she asked.

Theos was slightly taken aback.

"Well... I couldn't really say, I only saw them a few moments, and I don't really know Eliana... she seems like a good person. As for Khyros..."

"What about him? Do you think he could be dangerous for Eliana?"

A hint of concern touched her tired eyes, now.

"... I don't know... I don't think so... what do you think?" he asked.

"I think that things are never how they first appear..."

She leaned further into Theos's shoulder. When she said no more, Theos grew worried.

"Queen Phaedra? Majesty?"

But she had fallen into the coma like so many others. Theos tried to rouse her, but nothing worked. He himself could feel his strength wavering. He moved to lean against the wall, holding the queen against him. He looked down at her. She looked so peaceful. He pressed his cheek against her head, and his eyes closed before he could stop them.

******

Eliana and Khyros didn't speak much, focusing on their flying, keeping as high as they could to avoid being seen. Hopefully they'd pass as owls or some other nocturnal bird. Eliana glanced at Khyros, thinking that if someone had told her she'd be working with a Thendarian, she would never have believed it. And yet here she was with one. Sure, he was rude and unpleasant, but they had managed to not kill each other yet. Although, she figured that was probably because of the truce. Or maybe not, she wasn't sure. After all, she'd been annoyed by him, but never to the point of wanting to punch him or something. In fact, now that she looked at him, she thought he was kind of handsome.

What are you thinking! She scolded herself, looking ahead. He's a Thendarian, you can't think about him like that! Cethiel above, what is wrong with you?!