Chapter 14 - Should I stay? Should I go? - part 2

Khyros couldn't help but think how different Cethiel looked from the first time he'd seen it. The sky was clear, the sun illmuniated almost all of the buildings, the streets weren't deserted anymore... well, the people they passed cast odd looks in their direction, and looked pretty confused, but then, that was no surprise. They had just spent about a month in a coma or hiding from who knew what. Eliana either didn't care or was pretending not to, because she held his hand resolutely in his, staring ahead with determination.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

"Judgement Hall," she said. "It's where we always gather in times of crisis. Well... that's the procedure, normally, anyway..."

Yeah, Khyros thought with a smile. There wasn't anything normal about the situation a few days ago...

He glanced at Eliana.

And some things still aren't... he added to himself.

Eliana glanced back at him and smiled. They pressed on to the judgement hall, very aware of everyone following them and looking at them very conspicuously trying to look inconspicuous. Eliana bit her lip.

"... I'm sorry... I was selfish... maybe you were right..."

He squeezed her hand harder.

"It's fine. I don't want to lose you either."

Eliana smiled slightly, looking relieved. They pushed on.

"Eliana?! Eliana!"

Eliana froze. There, ahead, standing by the entrance of the Judgment Hall, was...

"I take it that's Laera?" Khyros said beside her.

"Yeah," Eliana said, her eyes stinging.

"Go," he said, giving her a gentle push in the back.

Eliana looked at him, kissed his cheek swiftly and hurtled forwards. Laera saw her coming and broke into a run too. After what felt a long moment, they threw their arms around each other.

"I'm so sorry... I'm sorry for what I said, I was horrible..."

"Hey... you weren't. You were right. One can't just sit back and say "what can we do" if they don't plan on actually trying to do anything. I'm just glad you're back safe."

"... Oh, Laera!"

They hugged again.

"Hey, by the way," Laera said, pulling away. "Who is that guy with you?"

"... Oh... that's Khyros," Eliana said. "... He... helped me a lot."

"He's also a Thendarian, given his skin," Eliana pointed out.

 It had gotten paler, but still wasn't quite white enough to pass of as Cethielite.

"He's not. Not on the inside. I... I can't really explain now, but you'll understand soon."

Eventually, everyone was gathered in the Judgment Hall. Queen Phaedra, looking much better to Eliana's relief, stood where she had the first time Eliana had seen her. Wearing a stunning pearl white dress, she looked around them.

"My people, rejoice, for the ailment that had maimed us is now gone. And for that, we have two young courageous angels to thanks. Eliana, Khyros, won't you come forth?"

Feeling a little awkward, they stepped forwards. Some people who hadn't seen Khyros gasped and whispered animatedly.

"You must tell us what happened," Phaedra said.