Chapter 3 - A year later - part 2

Khyros had never paid much attention to the Thendarian palace, before. Why would he have? But now that he did, he had to admit it was impressive. About a hundred feet tall, with a dozen towers and turrets, jet back with red torches and a river of lava in the motes, it was certainly not ordinary.

"This way, Master Khyros, mind your step, now," Welsius said, leading him to the drawbridge.

They carefully crossed it. Khyros glanced at the lava below. It glowed orange, but had a cold, angry feel to it somehow. Like it was more than just liquid fire that could burn prettymuch anything that fell into it and reduce to nothingness. He was surprised to feel himself gulp.

"Hurry now, Master Khyros," Welsius said. "We don't want to keep my master waiting."

He had already crossed the bridge.

"Whatever," Khyros said, and joined him.

They made their way up the small black gravel path to the dark marble steps of the gigantic castle. It was even more overwhelming up close, Khyros thought as he glanced up. Welslius led him inside. The entrance hall was also marble mixed with obsidian, and... was that black gold? He hadn't even known that existed. There wasn't a speck of the place that wasn't black. It was lit by nothing but the torches and the huge chandelier above them.

Well, someone likes to think big, Khyros mused as he followed Welsius upstairs.

Soon, they were outside a wide black oak door.

"One moment, Master Khyros, while I inform his Lordship that you are here..."

Khyros shrugged, but Welsius was already peering inside.

"My lord? I'm terribly sorry to bother you, but your guest is here."

Khyros couldn't see inside, but heard a cool, satisfied voice say:

"Ah, excellent. Send him in, Welsius."

Welsius turned to him.

"If you would, master Khyros," he said.

Khyros sighed and stepped inside.

***********

The next morning, Eliana opened her eyes and blinked, turning away because the sun came into her face through her window. But then, she remembered her dream and bolted out of bed, looking anxiously outside. Everything seemed perfectly normal. She exhaled in relief and slipped out of her night shirt before getting dressed and heading down to the kitchen where she could hear Laera.

"Morning," Laera said brightly.

Laera was always so cheerful, Eliana couldn't stand to take the smile off her face.

"Morning," Eliana said, forcing a smile slightly to not worry her.

"Tea?" Laera offered.

"Yes, please." Eliana said, sitting down.

Soon, they were both seated before their cups. Eliana did her best to sound upbeat as Laera told her about her friends and all the things they did together, insisting that Eliana should join them sometime.

"Maybe another time," Eliana said, trying to sound enthusiastic.

Laera seemed to sense something was off.

"Is everything all right?"

"Yes," she assured. "I just woke up a few times last night, so I'm a little tired. Nothing to worry about, really."