Chapter 8 - A journey made longer than you'd like - part 4

They were amazingly lucky for the remainder of the day and night. Aside from a few insects and toxic plants, they hadn't encountered any other creatures or people. It was a good thing they had so much physical training, because the ground had been getting steadily more bumpy. Eliana wondered if they might be entering parts of the forest that hadn't yet been explored. Of course, the heat was a little bothersome, though that was hardly a surprise. It was no secret that damp forests felt hot. But after a few hours of walking by night, they became gradually slower. Having barely stopped all day as well as walked late into the night, they were feeling the strain of it. Dead or not, even they had their limits.

"... We made good progress... maybe we should get some sleep." Khyros said.

Eliana wasn't sure if he was doing it for her because she was finding it more and more difficult to keep the pace, or if he was using the excuse to stop himself. In any case, she wasn't going to object. So they found a parcel of steady ground that wasn't too exposed and made themselves a new makeshift shelter. It was almost funny. She'd expected him to leave her do all the work, but he helped her without a word.

"I can take first watch, if you want," Eliana offered. "You started last time."

"No, it's fine" he shrugged. "You get some rest. You're not as used to the heat as me. Just don't make any noise."

Again, there it was. He was just edging towards being nice, and it was gone the next second. It was like he stopped himself from being too friendly... but why would he do that? It drove her crazy. But of course, there was no point in confronting him about it, because he would most likely deny it or shrug it off.

"Fine." she said shortly.

She was tired of taking his constant snark. She pulled out a fruit from her bag.

"Khyros."

He looked round. She turned and tossed it at him. Of course, he caught it effortlessly.

"You haven't eaten all day." she said before lying down.

The advantage was that they needed smaller quantities than they would have done as humans. He said nothing, at first.

"... Thanks." was his only comment.

Eliana didn't respond. She didn't trust him not to have yet another snarky comment.

Khyros sat with his arms around his knees, looking around him, listening, thinking. Why had he offered to take first watch? And more importantly, why had he given the reason he had? He didn't care if she was struggling more than him in this place. He had no interest in being nice. So why did he not seem to be able to help it with her...? He glanced at her. She was asleep, her face sparkling with sweat in the moonlight. It struck him again how different she looked when she was asleep and when she was awake.

He found himself staring at Eliana longer than he'd intended and quickly looked away. He had no time nor interest in anything but his mission. And even that was purely for his own benefit. In fact, he wasn't sure why he didn't just keep going and leave Eliana find her own way.

Because like it or not, you need her, said the voice in his head.

Khyros snorted.

I don't need anyone. It's the rock that needs both of us.

Maybe, but you can't deny that she's been admirably decent to you, despite your rudeness, the voice said.

I never asked her to! That's her problem, not mine.

He could almost hear a sly snicker.

Come on, what if you were the one taking all the heat of your rancor? The voice pointed out. I know you're mad at the world, but what did she ever do?

Well... she's too nice, that's the problem! Anyone else would have snapped by now. Khyros grumbled.

And that bugs you, big time, doesn't it? The voice asked.

Khyros stared ahead.

I just don't get her... he thought.

She can probably tell you're not really like that. Why don't you show her who you really are?

"Because who I really am stinks," Khyros muttered to himself.

Maybe you should let someone else make their own opinion, said the voice in his ear.

This was an inner dilemma Khyros had been confronted to quite a few times for the past few months. It felt like those silly cartoons when the character had tiny versions of himself on his shoulders, one as an angel who usually said to do the right thing, or not be mean, and the other one, a devil, who encouraged to selfishness and meanness. He sighed, pressing his fists to his forehead. It seemed his turmoil had been only getting stronger lately. Surely it wasn't because of Eliana? But if not, then why...? Without thinking, he turned to look at Eliana. He hadn't thought of it that way, but she had some merit, however annoying she was. She had taken on the challenge and hadn't complained once, even when she was clearly uncomfortable.

No one he'd ever known would have been so persevering. He hadn't cared enough to ask, but he expected that given what he'd seen of her personality, she was driven by her ailing friends in Cethiel. She was clearly one of those insecure people who were foolish enough to put themselves in danger for someone else who most of the time didn't even know, or else showed no gratitude. He was doing it for no one but himself. He could tell everyone they owed him. It would be fun to see them bite back their pride. Because even Thendarians had a sense of honor. When you owed someone, you had to repay them. Khyros looked at Eliana and froze. He knew what to do. He would have to be quick and silent. He slowly drew a long dagger from his belt, and crept towards Eliana.