Chapter 13 - Home Stretch - part 1

Eliana and Khyros paused, listening for the sounds of growling or grunting... but nothing. And that was almost worse.

"Well, we've come this far..." Khyros said.

One hand on his sword, the other holding Eliana's, they stepped forwards. The tunnel went downwards from that point, and it was steep enough that they had to be careful as they made their way down. Some would have just slid down like it was a toboggan, but with no idea was monstrosity was waiting for them at the bottom, they had thought it best to take it slowly. They finally reached the bottom of the tunnel. They were in a huge chamber, bigger than the one with the lake. But was far cry from it. It glowed a bright orange with the streams of liquid lava running along the walls and the floors here and there. Khyros and Eliana turned to stand with their backs to each other, swords firmly in hand.

"I hate not knowing what's coming..." Khyros whispered in an annoyed voice. "Why did no one describe the beast in the story?"

"Volcan was probably the only one who saw it and didn't want to think about it anymore because he lost Pheobe," Eliana whispered back. "And since he didn't know this would happen again, he probably didn't think he needed to bother describing it."

Khyros shrugged behind her.

"So where is that heart, anyway?" he asked.

"... I'm not sure.." Eliana admitted. "It's definitely around here, but it's too strong for me to pinpoint an exact location."

"I suggest we explore a little before the beast finds us..." Khyros said.

Eliana wasn't so sure that was a good idea, but it wasn't like she had a better one...

"I guess..."

So, carefully, swords raised, they looked around, each taking one side of the chamber. It was all pretty much the same to Eliana. Blank uneven stone, a strong feeling that they were in the right place, but nothing precise.

"What d'you think the heart looks like anyway?" Khyros asked.

"... If it's anything like the geology books describe, I'm thinking it should be a huge stone ball of some kind, probably glowing and warm."

They kept looking. After a few moments, Eliana, who was looking round a rock, for a clue of some sort, when Khyros came hurrying into view, pale and sweaty, but excitement in his brown eyes.

"Eliana! I think I've found it!"

And then, everything exploded.

With an earth-shattering crash, a large portion of the wall to their left burst into large chunks of rock, sending them flying around as a huge black creature. And the story had been right. It was pretty much impossible to describe. Jet black, with a shiny shell and horn like a rhinoceros, gleaming red eyes, large pincers... the closest thing she could compare it to was a mix between a rhino and a giant scorpion. Eliana leaped backwards to avoid the rocks.

"What's that?!" Khyros called.

"I'm guessing it's what Volcan and Phoebe had to face." Eliana said. "And it doesn't look too pleased..."

That was putting it mildly. As well as being twice the size of a rhinoceros and probably quite a lot more aggressive too, the beast whas flailing around trying to get through. Eliana's heart was racing like a Ferrari. What in the worlds were there they going to do now? It had taken all Volcan and Phoebe's energy to take it down the first time, and it had cost Phoebe her life!

"What do we do, now?"

The creature whacked at the rock again with its tail, which Eliana saw had a huge sting at its tip that made her gulp. She and Khyros stepped backwards and found themselves standing side by side.