Chapter 10 - Tumbling walls - part 2

The next day, the sky was gray. Eliana remembered that the rainy season was about this time of year in this area. The others clearly knew this too because everyone was already busy at work. Eliana's ankle was still tender, but just strong enough to walk on. She was helping the women tend to the younger children while Khyros was working on the huts with the other men. Just then, someone came hurrying into view, looking terrified and talking very fast. Eliana, Khyros, and just about everyone else gathered round, Phileas in the lead. Whatever it was, it was bad, because there were worried whispers and gasps. Phileas then spoke loudly in their tongue, and they all hurried around.

"Phileas, what's going on?" Eliana asked.

"The vigil spotted the Goeda warriors coming our way."

"... Goeda?"

"They're another tribe, and since Ingua left them to join us several years ago, they have been dead set on extinguishing the Woeden."

"They're attacking you?!" Eliana gasped, horrified. "But why?"

"Well, Ingua is the best healer around, and the Goeda are a very proud people, their chief in particular. I've tried parleying with him, but nothing seems to work."

"So they're just trying to crush you, no questions asked?"

"It sounds like it." Phileas nodded darkly.

"We have to get ready, arm ourselves," Khyros said.

"Yes. Khyros, would you join the men?"

"Of course."

"Eliana, I w-"

"I'm staying."

"But you're-"

"A girl? Yes. But I'm also capable of fighting with a sword. And I will not sit back and watch you fight when I could help."

"Your ankle..." Khyros began.

"I'll be fine." she said firmly. "Don't worry."

Khyros glanced at Phileas in a "she won't change her mind, so it's no use trying" kind of way.

"At least let us provide you some protection."

So it was agreed. They were in their tent getting ready like everyone else.

"... Your braid came undone," Khyros said. "That could be dangerous."

"... I know... I'll ask one of the women."

"No, don't. I can do it."

Eliana stared.

"What?" Khyros asked.

"... Nothing, I just... think you're the first boy I ever met who knew how to do braids." she said.

"My sister wouldn't have anything else, so my mother taught me for when she wasn't there."

He stepped forwards. Still surprised because this was the first time he had ever said anything about himself, Eliana didn't answer and turned round. He proceeded with surprising precision and gentleness. Soon, he had finished.

"Thanks..."

"You're welcome." he said. "Here, they left us these."

She looked at what he was handing her, which turned out to be a breast plate and shield. He had one too.

"Well, I guess this is it." Khyros said. "Time to fight."

They all stood facing the entrance. A small group had been sent to watch the other entrance and the village's surroundings. They had no idea where the Goeda would come from. There was absolute silence as they waited. Khyros stood near Phileas, sword in hand, while Eliana was with the archers un on the roofs, bows ready, quivers filled. The roofs were a little too high to jump from, especially for Eliana with her foot, but it was just about manageable. They stood tensely, watching and listening. Suddenly, they heard shouts from the outside as the Goeda appeared.

"Here they come..." Eliana muttered. "Doeta rea!"

Phileas had taught her a little Woeden over the last few days and these words meant "Get ready". As one, the archers armed their bows and waited. The roof was a tricky spot to stand, as the Goeda most certainly had archers too, and could strike them down easily, since they had little shelter, while they could hide under roofs and other things like that. The assault came suddenly. The Goeda, wearing similar attire to the Woeden except it was darker, came charging in with yells of rage.

"Koa!" Eliana shouted, which was the Woeden word for "Fire".

The archers fired at once. And it was soon an ugly fight. People falling on either sides. Eliana shot forwards and climbed down to the ground. Once she'd hit the ground, she pulled her sword out and ran into the frey. The Goeda seemed less opposed than the Woeden to have any connection with modern civilisation, because many of them had machetes. She was fairly sure this wouldn't be very good for her ankle, but she couldn't sit back and do nothing. After a moment, she noticed one Goeda going towards the hut the women and children were hiding. Eliana hated killing, but she knew he would probably kill if he got to them. She raised her bow and fired. Her arrow shot through the air, and hit the Goeda in the back. He fell to the floor. Eliana turned around to fight another one coming at her. It was chaos. It was almost impossible to determine who was an ally, who was an enemy, any more. She swung around, trying to be careful who she struck or didn't. But eventually, she realised there was only one way to prevent too many deaths. It was risky, because it would take a lot more that for the six poachers, but she couldn't see any other way.

"Khyros! Cover me!" she called and hurried backwards.

She knew it was a bit of a gamble, but she wasn't too worried. Khyros ran towards her and kept the Goeda off her.

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to try another energy projection."

"What?!" he gasped. "But at this magnitude, what'll happen to you?"

Eliana held back the "are you worried about me" in her mind and said:

"I have no idea... But it'll be a massacre if we don't do something..."

He looked at her, then nodded. She nodded back and closed her eyes before concentrating on bringing all the energy into her hands. They glowed blue. Eliana tried to focus it on the Goeda, to avoid hurting the Woeden. The energy suddenly burst out in a blue shockwave and hit the whole village, throwing Eliana several feet backwards. She hit the floor hard and lay dazed a few moments. Breathing heavily, she heard the Goeda's screams of terror and their hurried footsteps as they fled among the Woeden's cries of triumph. Eliana felt herself smile. It had worked. Just then, the most unexpected scene took place. She heard Khyros's voice and the sound his feet hitting the ground as he ran to her side and dropped down next to her.

"Eliana! Are you okay?"

She looked up at him, still breathing heavily. There was no sarcasm in his expression this time. He was sincerely concerned. Eliana was astounded.

"Yeah..." she said. "I'm fine."

"That was quite an impressive energy projection," Phileas commented as he and Khyros held out their hands to pull Eliana to her feet.

"Thanks..."

"Are you sure you're all right?" Phileas asked.

"Yes, I'm fine," she said again.

Before she could see it coming or understand it, Khyros had pulled her into a hug. And before she realized it, she was hugging him back.