Chapter 13 - Home Stretch - part 2

"Khyros, no!"

As if his strength had been waiting for that to leave him, his legs gave way and Eliana only just caught him before he hit the floor. She carefully sat him against the wall and looked at him. His face was pale and his body was shivery.

"No... no, no, no.... you'll be okay... hang in there..."

She took a look at the wound. It was deep but not too critical... she hoped. She was no doctor, so she couldn't be absolutely certain... It was just his side... he would be okay... right? What worried her was the bleeding. But that, she could help with, even if just a little. She pulled off her jacket and held it out to him.

"Here, put this on it..." she said. "It's not much, I know, but... it'll stop the bleeding."

He nodded mutely and did.

"It must have happened when you pulled me out the way of its sting..." she said miserably, tucking a lock that had fallen out of her plait behind her ear. "I'm sorry..."

"No..." he said, shaking his head slightly. "Don't be. It's okay."

Eliana bit her lip.

"I have to find a way out of this..." she said, thinking hard.

"Eliana..." he said in a strained voice.

She knew exactly what he was thinking and it was not happening.

"Don't even think of telling me to leave you!" Eliana said firmly. "I wouldn't have made it this far without you, and you either! We can't just give up now!"

She had to think hard. The beast was looking for them, she knew it. It was probably confused because their smell was all over the place now, but it wouldn't take that long to find them... And Khyros couldn't move very fast in his condition. In fact, it was best if he didn't move at all. Which meant the only solution was to kill it. Eliana looked at Khyros. He looked at her.

"Hold on. Okay? I'll be right back."

She hesitated, then pressed her lips to his much the way he had before. Then, she raised her sword, and marched out into the beast's view. It growled when it saw her. She glared at it.

"Come and get me."

The beast didn't need telling twice. It lunged towards her. Eliana ran to the right, leading it away from Khyros. She climbed on a rock and meant to jump on the beast's back but it was faster and whacked the rock, shattering it and making Eliana fall to the ground. Her sword slid noisily from her grasp again, and she only just time to roll out of the way before the enormous sting came crashing into the stone. But the beast didn't seem to just like using its sting. Its tail swung through the air, hitting Eliana in the chest and sending her flying. She hit the wall hard and landed roughly on the stone ground and was unable to move for a few seconds, stunned by the shock.

Ow... that's going to leave a mark... she thought as she straightened up, rubbing her head.

The beast wasn't going to wait for her. Its tail whipped the air towards her. Eliana raised her hands and created another shield.

"Eliana!" called Khyros's voice.

He was looking around the rock he was sitting behind, his face tinged with worry.

"Don't move, I'll be fine!" she shouted. "Are you okay?"

"I'll be okay, just don't die!"

Eliana got to her feet and couldn't help thinking that might be a little easier said than done. But the beast was now turning its big head towards the large rock behind which Khyros was

"Oh, no you don't. Hey!" she shouted. "Over here, ugly!"

It grunted and looked at her.

"Yes, I'm talking to you, come on, over here! That's it, this way!"

It was clearly getting angrier by the second, but she was able to move, he wasn't. Not enough to save himself. So she had to keep its attention on her. She tossed a small rock at it to make it come towards her and away from Khyros. She stepped back and tried shooting an arrow in its head, but the shell around it was too strong. The arrow bounced right off and tinkled at it landed pitifully on the ground.

Okay... new plan... if only I had a new plan....

Khyros was sitting behind the rocks, fists and teeth clenched, his side hurting like hell. But at least the jacket had stopped the bleeding. The tiny part of him that wasn't focused on listening to what was going on behind him hoped Eliana hadn't been too fond of that jacket because with all the blood it had on it, he was pretty sure it was ruined. The rest ofhim was boiling with frustration. He hated being unable to do something. And yes, if he was honest, as much as he liked Eliana, being forced to depend on a girl was a little humiliating. No, he was not mysoginistic. He just didn't like admitting he needed help. He had relied on himself for so long now he was still finding it hard to think any other way.

If I could at least do something... he groaned internally. But with this stupid wound, I'd more likely just get in the way... It would be good if there was some sort of healing potion or something like that... that way I could try and help Eliana... but I can't ask her to heal me, we'll never have time, not to mention the energy it would cost her... and she knows it too or she'd have done it before when she gave me the jacket...

He listened to Eliana's grunts of effort, her heavy breathing, the beast's growls and snarls. He peered round the rock. She had several cuts along her arm, legs and face, but still, she was fighting. He fleetingly wondered if Phoebe had been so persistant when she'd faced the beast.

If she was anything like Eliana, probably... he thought.

And then, it hit him like a slap in the face.

Wait... Phoebe... that's it! He gasped mentally. The lake! Eliana said the runes meant Heal, Pure and Light! So maybe... it's worth a shot!

Wincing, he pushed himself off the ground. Eliana, who was trying to hit the beast with her sword, saw him out and looked his way for a second.

"Khyros, what are you doing?!"

"I think I have an idea!" he said. "I'll be back soon! Hang in there!"

"But, Khyros...!"

"Don't worry!"

He stepped carefully towards the tunnel they'd come down and began making his way up it.