Chapter 10 - Tumbling walls - part 1

It took a little under three days for Eliana to be able to walk properly again, but she didn't sit back and do nothing. She helped keeping the children occupied by showing them how to make bead necklaces like she had done when she was a child. Almost every time, she had dropped it and had to start all over again, she remembered with amusement. It wasn't always easy, what with neither speaking the same language, but it was fun all the same. What was amazing was that even little boys seemed to enjoy making bracelets. It was helpful for everyone. Eliana wasn't too lonely, and the adults could focus on their other occupations. They often sat outside watching the others work. Khyros was clearly good with his hands, because he was always busy doing something. Eliana was actually surprised. She hadn't expected him to agree to be put to work so easily. He hadn't seemed the type at first.

"Areki nobu ga."

Eliana glanced at the girl who'd spoken.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand your language..." she said.

Then she noticed she was pointing at Khyros who was working on the roof of a hut. She looked up at him. He was looking intently at the plank he was fitting.

"She says that Khyros keeps looking at you." said a voice.

Eliana glanced up at Phileas who was coming over, and flushed furiously.

"No, he's not." she said.

But she had to admit she had noticed him quickly look away... She couldn't make any sense of it. She had to fight very hard not to try and look at him again.

"Thank you so much for this, by the way," Phileas said, indicating the children.

"That's okay, I'm enjoying it immensely. The children are adorable. So much more civilised than the ones I'm used too."

"This world is less clotted with temptation," Phileas said reasonably. "It's easier to focus on the real values."

Soon, it was dinner time. Eliana liked a good steak or pizza, but the food the Woeden women made was something else. It tasted wonderful, though with her experience of movie and book characters who'd made the mistake of asking what they were eating and how they had been repulsed by the answer, she thought it was best not to ask. Their hierarchy was a little sexist in her opinion, with the men doing the hunting and building and fighting, while the women took care of the children, meals and houses, but they didn't seem to mind. Eliana supposed they had never really known any other way... But if they had accepted that life, it probably wasn't so bad... Eliana glanced at Khyros, who was looking in her direction at the same time. Only this time he didn't look away. She offered him a tentative smile, which he returned.

Eliana was maybe supposed to spare her foot for the time being, but she kept herself busy over the next few days. Khyros was still as busy as ever, and it soon became clear they wouldn't have much of a chance to talk except in the evenings. And it seemed Khyros was glad to be busy, though he didn't say why. He said so during their first evening there. He came back after working all afternoon, looking tired but appeased. It was a nice change, Eliana thought.

"How's your ankle?" he asked.

She only just repressed a sigh.

"It'll be back to normal in just a couple of days," she said. "Don't worry, I won't slow us down too much. As soon as I can walk, we'll leave."

He paused.

"... I suppose I deserved that." He said finally

Eliana looked up.

"I was rude ever since we met." Khyros explained. "Working here made me see it more."

"... How come?"