Chapter 7 - Across one ocean, through another - part 3

The next day went on looking very similar to the previous one. Bright sunlight, lots of things to take care of, but Eliana had to admit it was nice to watch the water, and the silence was pleasant after the senseless noise of the cities and busy freeways. She leaned on the bannister, staring at the ocean, admiring its glow in the sunlight. Khyros was fixing a hole in the roof.

"Thank you," she said.

Khyros stopped.

"What?"

"I know you put the cover back over my shoulders last night. So thanks."

"How do you know it wasn't Ramón?"

"Ramón would have made so much noise I'd have woken up," Eliana said. "He's a good man, but not exactly light footed."

That was true, Khyros had to admit. In fact the only reason she hadn't woken up the night before was probably because Ramón and she had been on opposite ends of the room. He shrugged and went back to his repairs. Eventually, Ramón told them they would reach the Caracas port in a few hours. Eliana managed to get a map from him of the area, so they could figure out where to go. After all, the Amazon Rainforest was huge and they didn't want to spend months prowling through it aimlessly. She pulled out a paper from her backpack. She'd written down every word of the story. One never knew if one of the lines might have a hidden clue. She looked through it again, but couldn't see an exact location. The Earth's chest had to be South America, since the Amazon Rainforest was widely known as its lungs... so one hypothesis was that the heart was at the bottom, since in a chest the heart was below the lungs, but it could be completely wrong. And there was no other clue, except that it was underground. Which made sense, or everyone would have known where it was. Hopefully - though she doubted it would be so easy - , the heart was draw them to it somehow. An hour later, Ramón called them and showed them the outlines of a land ahead. The sight was incredible. Even Khyros's eyes were wide with awe. They still had a few things to do before docking the ship, however, so they soon got to work.

The temperature got warmer as they neared the day wore on. It was much nicer than the cold in Chicago. Eliana eventually pulled off her jacket, revealing the white tank top beneath. She was stretching her arms when she caught Khyros glancing at her.

"What?" she asked, instantly dropping her arms selfconsciously.

"Nothing. I'm not looking at you. I'm looking at the ocean."

Eliana wasn't convinced, but was fairly sure he wouldn't admit it.

"Are there no girls in Thendaria?" she asked coldly.

"None as annoying as you, that's for sure," Khyros retorted.

"Oh, I'm the annoying one? Good to know. I won't bother next time I want to help you."

"Good, because for the record, I never asked for your help in the first place," Khyros shot back.

They glared at each other.

"Jovenes! Mirad!" came Ramón's voice.

Eliana looked round.

"What is it?" Khyros asked.

"He wants us to look at something." Eliana said. "Come on."

They found Ramón at the front of the boat, looking at something in the water.

"Que hay?" Eliana asked.

"Mirad en el oceano," Ramón said.

Eliana and Khyros looked too.